Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Changing the oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing the oil pump?

I fear my truck is getting close to the time needed to change the oil pump. I heard it's extremely expensive for a shop to do it, and if I do it I need to remove the engine? Is there a way to do it without removing the engine?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by kaidotech
I fear my truck is getting close to the time needed to change the oil pump. I heard it's extremely expensive for a shop to do it, and if I do it I need to remove the engine? Is there a way to do it without removing the engine?
Im going to guess 302? It's a b!tch, but It's almost all elbow grease & you'll probably give yourself a better rate than a shop will. If I remember, you have to have to unbolt a motor mount or two & raise the engine for the pan to clear, but inly a few inches.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah from what I understand, you shouldn't have to remove the engine. You jack it up until the starter is about to hit the firewall, put 2x4s underneath the motor mounts you unbolted and the remove the jack. Pan comes off with some work and pump gets changed from there. I have to do this to my truck next month, but this is what I keep hearing has to happen.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
Yeah from what I understand, you shouldn't have to remove the engine. You jack it up until the starter is about to hit the firewall, put 2x4s underneath the motor mounts you unbolted and the remove the jack. Pan comes off with some work and pump gets changed from there. I have to do this to my truck next month, but this is what I keep hearing has to happen.
YES! Also the oil pump is removed with the pan hanging there and you reaching in to undo it and the oil pickup mount nut on the main cap plus don't forget the Y-pipe from the exhaust has to be removed or the oil pan will never clear......This little task will show you how much you truly love your truck... have fun . swaZZie
Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also when you remove oil pump thier is a shaft that comes from distributor youre going to have to use both hands to hold shaft and remove pump and reverse to put back in ,,,, i myself would pull engine
Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Exhaust can stay, engine must be lifted, use felpro one piece silicone gasket, the pump drive shaft should have a retainer to prevent shaft from falling. I did mine in under a couple of hrs.

Quick Reply: Changing the oil pump?