Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cannot insert key into ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cannot insert key into ignition

Hey team!

Well, I went out to the truck tonight and couldn't insert the key more than 80% into the ignition. Had no issues earlier today. I can kinda see the obstruction, or so I think, there's a pin toward the top of the cylinder that appears to be stuck in the up position.

Not sure what to do here, other than drench it in penetrating fluid. I can insert it enough to get it to "ding" with the door open, but can't get it in enough to turn, thus preventing me from doing a quick lock cylinder replacement. There's another post to this end on another '89 from back in 2016, but they never posted a solution.

Any ideas other than just hammering it in there and then immediately replacing the cylinder? The wheel is locked so I can't wrench it back and forth.

I'd like to be able to take it to work Monday

Thanks y'all!

-Patrick
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Yes I would spray WD40 or penetrating fluid in where the key goes. Even though the wheel is locked, putting pressure on it trying to turn it may help. Also try turning the key tumbler slightly as you put pressure against the wheel. I wouldn't try hammering the key in, atleast quite yet.
The following users liked this post:
pm59723 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 PM

I found a breakdown of removing the cylinder by drilling it out on another f150 forum, but that involves removing the steering wheel and many other steps I'd like to sidestep. I'll definitely go for the WD route first, and then see what happens...

Thanks for the input 88xlt.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by pm59723
...I went out to the truck...
WHICH truck? There's nothing in your signature to indicate what you're talking about. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
...there's a pin toward the top of the cylinder that appears to be stuck in the up position.
That's just for the key-in chime.
Any ideas other than just hammering it in there and then immediately replacing the cylinder?
Slow your roll, Rambo...
The wheel is locked so I can't wrench it back and forth.
I bet THAT's the whole problem. You're parked on a side hill, or against some obstacle, right? Or you turned the key off while holding the steering wheel turned hard? When the engine died, the pump stopped assisting, and it reverse-loaded the steering column all the way back to the lock cylinder. I've never heard of it preventing the key from being inserted, but I have to think that's what's happening to you.

Try to figure out which way the steering is jammed, and put some effort into turning the steering wheel away from its lock, to relieve the lock cylinder while you insert the key.

I wouldn't spray anything into it yet, but if you feel the need, I'd put a metal tray with a bunch of absorbent material on the floor under the column. I might also remove the colored dash panel below the column so it's not stained. Then, I'd start off with brake cleaner, to break up & rinse away any dried grease or metal shavings. Penetrant would be the last thing - do NOT use WD40 on lock cylinders.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Steve, my truck info is listed in my profile. Nope. Not parked on a hill or turned at a weird angle. It's parked parrallel to my house just like in my profile pic, as always.

Fluid hasn't helped yet. Calling a locksmith.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Update 2!

So, as I feared the locksmith I spoke to said if I couldn't get the key in I would have to drill out the cylinder to replace it. He recommended I try tapping the key in with a hammer as a last resort as he wouldn't do a drill-out service on a Sunday and said most in the area probably wouldn't either without a significant surcharge.

So, I went out tapped it in, and boom. Was able to get it all the way in after some medium-strength taps, and rotate to free the pin and replace the cylinder.

New cylinder is in place and all is well. I'm also unable to remove the old key from the old cylinder.

Thanks for your help everyone! In this case it was just a brute force fix.

Quick Reply: Cannot insert key into ignition