Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Bump steer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Bump steer?

What causes bump steer? Tie rods? balljoints? Pitman arm? Any other possible causes? Could it be just needs an alignment? It has the sway bars but no stabilizers. Do the stabilizers really work. And it has a 2 month old steering box. ( helped a little bit not much though)

93 bronco 302 auto 4x4
6 inch procomp lift and 35s
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticl...psteertech.htm

Alot of guys have problems with it, especially with bigger tires and higher suspension lift. I have zero bumpsteer, 4' lift and 35s, a drop pitman, new TREs and a knuckle under. I took my anti sway bars completely off and noticed no change. I removed the steering stab and noticed no change.

The cause is the axle tilt, due to the tire hitting a bump, changing the length between the axle draglink mount on a spindle and the pitman arm on the steering box. During a compression bump this length is reduced and the spindle must rotate (steer) to accommodate the draglink length, or we have to design in something to keep the axle nearly the same distance from the frame at the steering box -- a pan hard rod or track bar.

Given this, your axle should be the same distance from the steering box during compression. What keeps it there? I would guess the pivot bushing on the TTB. Needless to say, maybe putting some new components up front could alleviate the problem. TRE's, pivot bushings, BJs.

Last edited by 5Rangers; 11-08-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Bump steer?