Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Battery drainage

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drainage

Hello all!

First time posting on here hoping someone can help me out a bit.

What I've got is a '92 f150 302. I've been having battery problems for the last few weeks. Basically I've got to disconnect the battery every night in order for it to crank up the next morning. Yesterday, I started pulling fuses, disconnecting wires, etc to see if I could pinpoint where the problem is. While having my voltmeter on the battery, I disconnected the starter solenoid on the fender well and found that once I did that, the draining stopped and the voltage went up a tad bit. Then I started putting one wire on at a time and found that if I hooked everything up except the two larger white wires, the draining stopped. The time I hook the two white wires up, the voltage went down pretty fast and had a pretty good spark when I went to hook it up, basically telling me that whatever those wires go to, is the culprit. I don't have a diagram for under the hood to tell me where those two wires go. They are two white wires but only have on eye connector on it that connect on the battery side of the solenoid. Also when I hook them wires up, I hear something that sounds like a relay or something that clicks once. Can anyone shine a light on this for me? Maybe tell me where those wires go without having to pull the harness out? They look like they go from the solenoid, around the radiator, behind it, and back around to where the fuse box and all my wires connect to the firewall..Right now everything is hooked up except them two wires and my voltage is slowly going back up.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be all wet, but your story was reminding me of doing the same with disconnecting the battery every night. My problem was a busted "door open" switch on the passenger door. The symptom was having the dome lights not going out after a minute of turning the car off.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Those white wires come from the fuse box under the hood, so when you unhook it you're just cutting the power to the vehicles systems. Keep trying with your voltmeter and test the fuses and relays for the ones that should not be hot unless the key is on.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ya'll..Fixing to grab me some coffee and head outside..Since leaving them wires off over night, the voltmeter went from 8.24 volts up to 11.16. Hope I can figure this thing out today without pulling my harness out.

Quick Reply: Battery drainage