Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Automatic trans flush?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Automatic trans flush?

I've been tooling around this forum searching for some info on whether it makes sense to flush the whole system out or just drain whatever come out by taking the pan off. I've been hearing a lot of conflicting stories from a lot of different people both from this site and some mechanics that I know. Honestly, I'm not having any issues with the trans, I would just like to get a new filter in there and clean the magnet in the pan.

I have a 1995 5.8L with E4OD auto trans. I also wanted to know if there is a drain plug on the torque converter. The shop that I called today said there wasn't but a few of the threads that I read on this site suggested that there is one.

Please give me your thoughts I what I should do!

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by admiller316
I've been tooling around this forum searching for some info on whether it makes sense to flush the whole system out or just drain whatever come out by taking the pan off. I've been hearing a lot of conflicting stories from a lot of different people both from this site and some mechanics that I know. Honestly, I'm not having any issues with the trans, I would just like to get a new filter in there and clean the magnet in the pan.

I have a 1995 5.8L with E4OD auto trans. I also wanted to know if there is a drain plug on the torque converter. The shop that I called today said there wasn't but a few of the threads that I read on this site suggested that there is one.

Please give me your thoughts I what I should do!

Thanks,
Tony
Transmissions are usually less than adequately maintained. I think the converter is plugged for drainability, but not sure as Mine is AOD. Transtune added a week before is a good idea, prior to change as it helps desolve varnish, sludge & opens up the cooling coils tubes, increasing flow, which will help control operation temps. Somebody else is going to have to yes or no , on drainage of your converter for sure.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM

You should have a rubber plug on the bottom of your bell housing, remove the plug and you'll have access to you drain plug for the torque converter.. You'll need to bump the engine around until the drain plug shows up in the access hole. You could also put a wrench on the balancer bolt on the front of the crankshaft to turn the torque converter.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM

As far as the automatic flush I've always added Transtune and ran it for a week. Drained the converter, dropped the pan & filter, because I had that option w/ my converter. W/o that option, if you didn't go w/ autoflush your leaving more than 1/2 your trashed fluid, in the system. I'd opt for the auto flush before I left that crap in there to speed up the degradation of the new fluid. Once the fluid breaks down In it's chemical properties, it will take it's toll on the transmission. Got to get rid of it, not just dilute it!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

flushing does the same thing as draining the converter....

why pay a shop 150.00 to flush it when you can drain it yourself and install new fluid...thats why I do it...

but then again I am a tightass...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
flushing does the same thing as draining the converter....

why pay a shop 150.00 to flush it when you can drain it yourself and install new fluid...thats why I do it...

but then again I am a tightass...
The Tranny shop he called told him that it had to be flushed because they said his converter wasn't drainable (no plug!) Liar, Liar, Pants on fire?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 PM

If you do manage to drain all the fluid completely, you should add a tube of Dr. Tranny Shudder fix, to restore the lubricating properties after filling up with fresh fluid first. Bout 7 bucks from most oreilly stores.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM

i have a 92 f150 and a 90 f250 and neither one has a drain plug. the machine at the shop i worked at used the vehicles regular cyle to cycle the old flluid out and new in. it work on both mine really well. i only do this when i buy a vehicle as long as you keep your filter and magnet changed and cleaned you should have to change all your fluid. a regular filter change is recamended like a oil change so i do recamend you change the filter my trucks both have over 200000 miles and going strong hope you find out what you need
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris351
i have a 92 f150 and a 90 f250 and neither one has a drain plug. the machine at the shop i worked at used the vehicles regular cyle to cycle the old flluid out and new in. it work on both mine really well. i only do this when i buy a vehicle as long as you keep your filter and magnet changed and cleaned you should have to change all your fluid. a regular filter change is recamended like a oil change so i do recamend you change the filter my trucks both have over 200000 miles and going strong hope you find out what you need
You failed to mention what engines or transmissions!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the input! I wanted to do a flush because I was unsure whether my torque converter had a drain plug or not. Now with the conflicting stories, I'll have to crawl under there this weekend and take a look myself. The shop I called just flat out told me there was not drain plug without looking at it but I guess they would know being a trans shop that's been in business for 25 years...

I really would like to avoid paying $220 for a flush and filter change which is what the dealer quoted me! The independent shop said they could drop the pan, change the filter, clean the magnet for $120. The truck was well taken care of as the previous owner handed over a whole stack of service records. However none of them said anything about transmission service. Ideally I would like to completely change the fluid and filter but I've heard a lot of bad things about the way some shops "flush" it out...

I'll keep investigating as I have always been clueless when it comes to automatic transmission service. Everyone seems to have a different idea as to what is best! I will still appreciate any feedback and pointers that anyone has!

Quick Reply: Automatic trans flush?