Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Atf in eng oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atf in eng oil?

Not super impressed with this site.. So I know it gas already been talked about but I can't really find the answers.. I have a 88 4.9 ... I've noticed my oil psi gauge seems a little low... I'd like to plumb in a gauge to check .. And I'm considering running some Atf through before my next oil change...also I recently got rid of the pcv hose from the valve cover to the air intake and just replaced with an aftermarket "chrome filtered plug/cap" style setup .. Hoping it will eliminate "crappy air " going through my intake... Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2015, 02:54 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Thoughts.....Heck of way to start a post, with an insult. You'll figure it out on your own.
The following users liked this post:
06redlongbed (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
Thoughts.....Heck of way to start a post, with an insult. You'll figure it out on your own.
x2
Well said.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:42 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said. I would be more concerned with your mental status, seems like you may be a couple french fries short of a happy meal.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow!!

Cutdown on the first sentence, then telling us you want to run ATF "through before the next"...oil change.

Go for it. My thought is you have pretty much decided to do these things, or have already done them. Depending on your location, the only air going through your engine will be crappy air. The mods you have chose, in my opinion, indicate that you don't know what the PCV valve is there for.

Your truck. I don't do these things to my truck, for a multitude of reasons.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shenja
Not super impressed with this site.. So I know it gas already been talked about but I can't really find the answers.. I have a 88 4.9 ... I've noticed my oil psi gauge seems a little low... I'd like to plumb in a gauge to check .. And I'm considering running some Atf through before my next oil change...also I recently got rid of the pcv hose from the valve cover to the air intake and just replaced with an aftermarket "chrome filtered plug/cap" style setup .. Hoping it will eliminate "crappy air " going through my intake... Thoughts?
Easy guys Im betting this was a typo,,
Anywho to the original poster a new sending unit is like $5 and more than likely whats wrong with your gauge. I replaced mine 2 days ago.
Far as the open breathing vs the PCV its nowhere near as effective. Id use the PCV unless you have a "race" evac system. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jayber
Easy guys Im betting this was a typo
Didn't consider that, if so I appologize for my statement. PCV delete=Bad Idea

ATF if the oil right before a change, I've known older guys that swear by it and others who say to never. That's a call you have to make. I prefer getting the spray SEAFOAM and spraying it through the brake booster line. Using the spray prevents any chance of hydro-locking the engine.

Oil pressure should always be verified by an actual gauge as the one on the dash is only really a "you have oil pressure" light in gauge form. It registers anything over 7psi, the sending unit sends the same signal for 10si as for 20psi. Where the needle sits depends on the sending unit, motorcraft sends a lower signal so the needle doesn't go as far, the aftermarket units tend to put out more signal causing the needle to read higher. Don't replace anything until you verify with an actual gauge, for what a new sending unit costs I would replace it with an actual gauge and mount that on the free space of the cluster.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:18 PM

Well... My thoughts initially were about how difficult it is to find good info on this site .. Not the opinion of the posters ... I now know that this site is also full of ego not info thanks but no thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 PM

Not intended to those few that actually responded with good info
Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Lucas oil additive/treatment. It has helped with some of my older engines regain some oil pressure. As far as ATF, there is no way I would add any of that to my engine. I just wouldn't run the risk of hydrolocking the engine, or something much worse. As I have always said, its your truck, if you have heard that works and want to give it a try, then try it. As far as your original post, and subsequent answer, there will always be egos, but you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Quick Reply: Atf in eng oil?