Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 F150, No start, Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 F150, No start, Intermittent

Hello All.

I have a 95 F150 Off Road Extended Cab 4WD, with the 5.8 motor with dual gas tanks.
My truck is in great condition overall, with about 160 K miles. It runs great, but the last six months or so I've had an intermittent no start problem.

I've checked all the relays, coil wire, replaced the coil, power control module, ignition switch (under the dash), I have tested for spark and it's fine, and I have about 30 psi on the fuel rail with both tanks.

Sometimes it just will not start. I will try both tanks switching from one to the other etc. and no difference, it might start on the front or the rear after about 12 tries or so. Sometimes I can wait 5-10 minutes and it will start.
Yesterday I was checking the fuel pressure, and was jumping the solenoid, which did not help, except when the screwdriver slipped a couple of times, during this inadvertent "bump start" she fired right up.

Once it cranks it might go all day or 3-4 days and crank fine.
This is very perplexing, and any help will be appreciated. I have read about the fuel pump driver module above the spare tire, but since both tanks are pumping fine, would this be the cause?

Thanks in advance! Partner
Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

30psi is on the extreme low end, you want about 35 with key on, 35-45 engine running. If it's this way for both tanks then I would start by testing your FPR and maybe changing out your fuel filter.
The following users liked this post:
Partner (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Fltdriver's right there. 30 psi is way low. I turn my key to "on" and get 42 to 43 psi right away.
I believe you have a fuel pressure problem.
I'm not sure you have a fuel pump driver module above your spare tire - I've yet to see one on that model truck and I've torn over a dozen down to the frame and beyond.
How's your fuel filter looking ? Or like flt said - FPR problem. or possibly both.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure problem

Fltdriver's right there. 30 psi is way low. I turn my key to "on" and get 42 to 43 psi right away.
I believe you have a fuel pressure problem.
I'm not sure you have a fuel pump driver module above your spare tire - I've yet to see one on that model truck and I've torn over a dozen down to the frame and beyond.
How's your fuel filter looking ? Or like flt said - FPR problem. or possibly both.

Many Thanks Chris to both you and fltdriver, I thought I would try the fuel filter first. I have the new one, but worked about 1.5 hours trying to get the old one off tonight. I tried two different fuel line release tools to no avail...of course I released the spring clips etc...and
using the push-pull, twisting, cranking, and pulling...is it this difficult, or is there a special brand or part number tool that would help???

Many Thanks,
Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sometimes you get lucky with those fittings and they unclip and pop right off. Other times not so much. They really can be a nuisance.

Quick Reply: 95 F150, No start, Intermittent