Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 F150XT help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 94 F150XT help

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few days, and decided I'm not sure if I have found the answers I am looking for or not.
I recently acquired a 94 F150XT with and I-6 and overdrive, not sure on what transmission this thing has. It starts right up and runs great when driving however it shifts hard both up and down, mainly between 1st and 2nd gear changes. I'm sure it needs a flush and fill and oil change, what other suggestions might everyone have? The cars speedometer as also reads wrong. My wife followed me hope the other day asking why I was only going 65 in a 70, when according to the speedometer I was going 70. I have ready it could be a speed sensor in the rear dif, but looking for any other input. This truck will be a great hauler If I can get the transmission shifting correctly. My father in law drove it once in a while to haul stuff and it has been shifting like this for several years. he just never wanted to put money into it. Any thoughts suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I think that replacing fluid and filter in a tranny is a good place to start - anyway it has to be done since you probably don't know if it was done ever before. Keep us informed about what will change in your truck's behavior.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Your trans should be the E4OD not a 100% though. See what it does after the trans service and check your tire size vs OEM. This may account for the speed difference. Another good idea on anything over 100k is to add a large trans cooler. The one on the radiator can stop working all together due to deposits on the inside. A lot of people don't like doing radiator service as often as they should. This is a Car and Driver and Consumer Report issue not just me.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM

I would definitly try a flush but you might also want to look at the U-Joints if there bad they can sometimes cause hard shifts if not add to the trans problem, best way to check is when your barely on the gas around 45-50 mph or faster or when you just let off the gas and you get vibrations in the floorboard the u joints are probably bad but not the whole problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks guys, If I get time today I'm going to try to change the oil and transmission fluid, from what I read I may be able to drain the torque converter and get all of the fluid out in one shot, except the cooler, any fluid recommendations? also I'm sure the read diff needs it as well, and certain kind of fluid to look for.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Got the oil changed Sunday, went pretty smooth, although I think a new oil pan gasket is in its future. I looks like its popping out of the sides of the pan, I don't know how it doesn't leak. I will have to wait a bit to do the tranny and rear end fluid. One step at a time. Also, I am looking into another problem I have. The air bag light is flashing code 2 then 1 and the horn doesn't work. I would think the clock spring would be the culprit here. From what I read this is pretty common.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM

I just did an oil pan gasket on mine about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty simple I was very surprised at how easy it was if you have any mechanic knowledge you'll be alright and an extra set of hands is very nice when you put the new gasket on my old oil pan gasket was shot lol and it hardly leaked surprised me it would only drop a spot here and there and from the looks of it you woulda thought it wouldn't have held any oil in haha I posted pics of the old gasket and the new gasket cost around 26 27 bucks if i remember correctly and it's funny that I just read this today cause my tranny shifts hard here and there but it's always when it shifts to 2nd or 3rd never when it down shifts my tranny was rebuilt back in May and it has about 4500 miles on it now and I hate to topic jump you but does anyone know where i can get a trans cooler or how much one is and also how hard is it to install? I have heard of some type of fluid that you putinto the radiator that puts some sort of cool sealant on the inside and is supposed to keep it running 15-20 degrees cooler? I have heard people say that it works great and I haven't heard any negatives about it so idk. My truck has 117500 miles on it and I want to treat her the best I can it's my first truck and I love it to death I wish I would have jumped into the truck scene sooner but anyway any any knowledge on this is greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

I'd go lean a little on your tranny guy. 4500 mi. is a little soon to start acting up. If their worth their salt, they will help you out with this. Or I'd be tempted to park out front w/ a "Ask me about my 4500 mi. rebuilt tranny!" and a roll of quarters for the meter.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 PM

It only happens here and there and I've noticed it's only after I've driven it for a long distance idk maybe the filter? and what do you mean by going lean?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994F150Xl
It only happens here and there and I've noticed it's only after I've driven it for a long distance idk maybe the filter? and what do you mean by going lean?
Take your truck to the shop and give them the opportunity to stand behind their work 4500 isn't that many miles to already start having problems. They might just have your TV pressure set to high /15 min. fix! They'd rather do that than have you telling people where to take ttheir vehicle for tranny work if they don't mind it crappin out in 4500 miles. With trans repair shops, it's a lot easier to keep a good rep than to shake a bad one. Do trans use a less viscous fluid after a rebuild for a break in period that requires replacement after so many miles?

Quick Reply: 94 F150XT help