Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

93 I6 2wd Hitch install and some towing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 93 I6 2wd Hitch install and some towing Questions

Hey guys, I am planning to get a boat in a few years, and obviously I'm going to need a hitch. I need a fairly nicely rated hitch but in the ball park of around 100- 150 dollars. Also since I am going to be towing any nice tips/recommendations would be AWESOME! Since these trucks were made back in 93, and the average max speed nationally was around 55-60, this is what they were meant to run at smoothly. Well in Texas thats not the case and I am right now running on 15" ford 5 lugs, and am looking into making my overall wheel diameter bigger, even though yes this will lose some of my torque. My straight 6 will pull me out anyways. Anyone running on taller tires? I defiantly do NOT want to go any wider as this will not help my torque.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 PM
DIY'er in SoCal

You don't comment how large and heavy the boat will be, so here are some comments assuming it won't be extreme in size.

Watch Craigslist and elsewhere for a used Class III receiver - I just got one for $50. Watch also Craigslist for a draw bar and the most common 2" ball - probably in the ~$15 range. Four pin plug and play wiring harness is also in the ~$15 range. The same hitch fits many years of our vintage F-150's.

Yes, a larger diameter tire reduces power and engine RPMs at a given speed. If you go from a stock tire to, say, a 31" the difference is not that great. Larger than 31" tires will start to have an effect to a larger degree. Width of the tire is a lessor factor, but it does affect rolling resistance.

You should check what your axle ratio is if you have not done so already. If needed, regearing appropriately for whatever tire diameter you have will bring back the lost power.

Last edited by vsheetz; 03-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...-150+&GO=GO%21

I bought a Hidden Hitch class III and installed it myself. It has not given me any problems and I am completely satisfied with it.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dewman
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...-150+&GO=GO%21

I bought a Hidden Hitch class III and installed it myself. It has not given me any problems and I am completely satisfied with it.
Did this hitch give you any problems with the spare tire? I also have a spare tire lock, will this interfere with this hitch?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 93 I6 2wd Hitch install and some towing Questions