Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

93 4.9 Overheating HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 93 4.9 Overheating HELP

I have 93 with a 4.9 I6, its got about 140,000 miles on it. On my way to the train station I noticed it was running hot but didn't think anything of it. Right before my exit on the highway, I looked in my rear view to see a huge cloud of white smoke burst from my truck. I got off the highway and parked at the station. My truck was pooring smoke and when I popped the hood I found coolant everywhere. I had to get to school so its sitting there until I can figure out how to get it home.

Does anybody know what this could be? Is it just a hose or is it the head gasket. Also is there any way I would be able to get it home, its about a 20 min drive down the highway, or is a tow my only option. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

20 mins of highway time is alot. tow, or fix on site. Check if a hose blew. You didn't really give a ton of info
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM

I couldn't really examine everything because I had to get on the train. I just did a quick look, all I could see is coolant everywhere. Based on the splatter on the underside of the hood, I would say it came from somewhere behind the radiator if that helps. I don't think there was any smoke from the exhaust because mine goes out the side before the rear wheel. Sorry I don't have a ton of information, I'll try to get more later.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Okie.

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaBoy182
I couldn't really examine everything because I had to get on the train. I just did a quick look, all I could see is coolant everywhere. Based on the splatter on the underside of the hood, I would say it came from somewhere behind the radiator if that helps. I don't think there was any smoke from the exhaust because mine goes out the side before the rear wheel. Sorry I don't have a ton of information, I'll try to get more later.
If its flung all over the hood it's either a burst hose spraying Coolant on the fan or the radiator doing the same. My truck did that and my hood and spots underneath are stained from coolant.
The following users liked this post:
BuddhaBoy182 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM

So most likely I just need to replace the hose?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Buy a upper/lower/bypass hose and a screwdriver if you don't have one in your truck. If it's a heater hose you can loop the hose at the block and bypass the heater. You will also need access to water after you fix the problem. It sounds like a hose and all that smoke was steam coming off the exhaust system. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
Buy a upper/lower/bypass hose and a screwdriver if you don't have one in your truck. If it's a heater hose you can loop the hose at the block and bypass the heater. You will also need access to water after you fix the problem. It sounds like a hose and all that smoke was steam coming off the exhaust system. Good luck.
Now that you mention it, my heater hasn't really been working recently. Does this mean its the heater hose? Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaBoy182
Now that you mention it, my heater hasn't really been working recently. Does this mean its the heater hose? Thanks for all the help everyone.
You won't know until you tear into it and find your leak, if your fluid level is low the heater will not work.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Ummm ... making a lot of assumptions based on very limited information.

It would be better to step back and assess the situation before jumping to any conclusions. The leak could be anywhere.

One of the "tells" that your coolant level is dropping low is that the heater will stop working. It's possible that you've been running with a low coolant level for awhile now.

Fifty or a hundred bucks for a tow home is a lot of money for some folks but it might be your safest bet unless you're really sure that you know what the problem is and can fix it in the parking lot.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

The only thing we can answer based on your information is the coolant didn't fly out of the engine so its likely a hose, damaged radiator or failed cap. Pick up a radiator check kit. AutoZone loans them out. It hooks to the radiator and you pump air in. Air and fluid will squirt out your hole. It saves a ton of time. Make sure you know why the truck overheated. Check out the whole system. Is the radiator clear and clean? If a hose failed, all the rest are likely in the same condition. They aren't real expensive and easier to replace all together. Check your thermostat. Is it opening? Check your radiator cap. If the relief doesn't work when it over heats something will explode. There is an adaptor in the radkit to test the cap. Check the waterpump, drivebelt and fan clutch.
The following users liked this post:
BuddhaBoy182 (09-21-2012)

Quick Reply: 93 4.9 Overheating HELP