Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

91 f150 fuel pump connector plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 91 f150 fuel pump connector plug

I ordered a fuel pump for my 91 ford f150 lariet rear tank.The pump came with an after market pig tail connector with no instructions.I know i have to cut off the old connector and wire in the new.But have no idea which wires go to what,can somebody help me. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Cnewy92 (03-05-2024)
Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by icu1954
I ordered a fuel pump for my 91 ford f150 lariet rear tank.The pump came with an after market pig tail connector with no instructions.I know i have to cut off the old connector and wire in the new.But have no idea which wires go to what,can somebody help me. Thanks
Usually the new pump with have an instruction sheet that tells which wires on the new connection do to which colors in the old. Did it not? You might reach out to the pump maker if not.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by icu1954
Frankly, I'd send it back and get one that has OE plugs on it. I've been using Carter replacements, and they were plug and play. Whenever possible I protect the factory harness & keep it intact. Few people have the ability to make as secure of connections as the ones it comes from the factory with, and you don't want to find out in the middle of a weather event, or on a major highway, that your splice didn't hold. This might help though

Last edited by Eric Fullerton; 09-16-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the diagram,but i need to know where the wires from the new pigtail go when connected to original wiring.
kburton66 (07-06-2023)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a melt down on the rear pump wiring, the bundle had gotten so hot it had fused the wires together. It was like that when I got it, so don't know why, the pump had been replaced with the Motorcraft one. Anyhow how we rewired it was found the grounds with a meter using continuity, they are grounds so they are interchangeable. We then turned the key on to pulse the pump wire and identified it, process of elimination, the remaining wire was the sending unit. If you want to know on the pump, with it out, the wires are pretty easy to trace to the wires on the outside, not sure how you can tell the orientation of the 2 pump wires though. Since my pump was an OEM replacement I had the assurance that it complied with the drawing, and it works fine the sending unit not so much, so I guess I get to go back in to fix that. Here is a picture of my messy band-aid fix;

Last edited by Eric Fullerton; 09-17-2017 at 09:19 AM.
icu1954 (09-17-2017)
Old 07-06-2023, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same problem.

Originally Posted by VickMacky
Usually the new pump with have an instruction sheet that tells which wires on the new connection do to which colors in the old. Did it not? You might reach out to the pump maker if not.

A friend left some notes but I don't quite understand. I need like orange to grey