Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'89 F150 4.9 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '89 F150 4.9 won't start.

Hey folks,

I'm stumped here, and I'm looking for a life line. So I've had my '89 F150 since new. It is the 4.9 six with the T19 4sp trans, 2wd. 305K miles and has run like a top since new. About 5 or 6 years ago the ignition actuator rod in my steering column broke. I fixed it, but lost steering wheel tilt in the process. It worked ok (with the occasional fit of not being able to find the "run" position) up until the past year and a half or so, with me having ever more difficulty turning the key and finding the start/run positions. About that time the truck was hit in the nose. purely cosmetic, and nothing changed about driveability. I parked it until this summer, when I put a nose off a 93 on it at a buddy's house down the street. After we put the nose on and I tried to drive it home the "run" position was completely gone and I had to hold the key in position to keep the truck running. I went out to start it a few days later and it wouldn't start. I figured it was the steering column, which definitely was shot, so this morning I put one from the junkyard in. The slop is gone, but the truck still wouldn't start and most importantly, the ignition lights don't come on, no matter how you adjust the ignition switch. You can still turn it forward to start but run isn't there. Something to note however, is that the ignition harness plug at the switch looks like it took a surge and melted some. I figure me holding it in the run position cooked it, but I'll never be certain. Has anyone come across this before? I think the best thing to do would be to get a new ignition wiring harness, but I haven't been able to find one yet or a wiring diagram to see where and how far it goes. Are they still available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My '93 cougar was hit in front of my house last week and totaled, and while I was intending on buying a newer vehicle in the spring I just can't swing it right now. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dennis
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 AM
April 2010 TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EEC Plug-in under hood 1987 F-150

The Haynes Repair Manual #36058 Chapter 12
has the Chassis Electrical System information you need.

But first, ensure your truck BATTERY is fully charged to 12 volts,
the old steering column's wiring may have remained energized after you drove it home holding the key and parked it; and ran the battery down?

FYI -
1987-89 F-150 Wiring Diagrams are the same.
1990-91 F-150 Wiring Diagrams are the same.
1992-96 F-150 Wiring Diagrams are the same.

Below is a under-hood picture of my EEC Plug-in on the drivers side firewall. The Firewall Rubber Boot/Seal around the EEC Processor is difficult to re-install by yourself.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails '89 F150 4.9 won't start.-1987-f150-eec-plug-under-hood.jpg  

Last edited by 1987 F-150 XLT 4x4; 08-29-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the reply.

I replaced the battery a few weeks ago, and I keep the truck hooked up to a battery tender when its parked. A friend had mentioned that I may have nuked the computer when I held the key on, since I could have been switching from prime to start to run modes without even thinking of it. I disconnected the computer and I'll reconnect it to see if it just needed to be cleared. But just to be safe I went to autozone and ordered a new one, which will be here on Wednesday.

Quick Reply: '89 F150 4.9 won't start.