Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 custom newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 custom newbie

Hey guys, new to The Forum. I just picked up a nice 1989 Ford F150 custom low mile zero rust, 300 straight 6 with a 4-speed manual trans. I believe it's the t18 first is a granny gear. The shocks are pretty shots I went ahead and put a pro comp 2 inch leveling kit shocks all the way around. I ditched the two catalytic converters and welded in two and a half inch pipe to a Flowmaster Super 40 all the way to the tailpipe. I chopped the tube off the first catalytic converter and plug where it went into a air pump I believe. The truck runs pretty good I plan on doing a tune-up to it, new plugs plug wires distributor cap I've already changed the oil checked all the ball joints and leaf springs. Truck shifts good I do hear small tick in the back left of the engine bay, I can't tell if that's an exhaust manifold leak yet but I'm pretty sure it is. Also, the steering has some good float to it, I don't know if there's a way to tighten this up? This is my first fuel-injected ECU truck, I've only had carbureted trucks until now. Just wondering what some other things I should do for a tune-up. Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/7tLfWSe
Old 12-11-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Nice truck!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan Woodard
Hey guys, new to The Forum. I just picked up a nice 1989 Ford F150 custom low mile zero rust, 300 straight 6 with a 4-speed manual trans. I believe it's the t18 first is a granny gear. The shocks are pretty shots I went ahead and put a pro comp 2 inch leveling kit shocks all the way around. I ditched the two catalytic converters and welded in two and a half inch pipe to a Flowmaster Super 40 all the way to the tailpipe. I chopped the tube off the first catalytic converter and plug where it went into a air pump I believe. The truck runs pretty good I plan on doing a tune-up to it, new plugs plug wires distributor cap I've already changed the oil checked all the ball joints and leaf springs. Truck shifts good I do hear small tick in the back left of the engine bay, I can't tell if that's an exhaust manifold leak yet but I'm pretty sure it is. Also, the steering has some good float to it, I don't know if there's a way to tighten this up? This is my first fuel-injected ECU truck, I've only had carbureted trucks until now. Just wondering what some other things I should do for a tune-up. Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/7tLfWSe
wow clean truck. welcome..as for the steering, put the truck up on jack stands or a lift and check for any play in the linkage and box...at the age of the truck it might not hurt to throw all new stuff on it
Old 12-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Nice find...keep that factory exhaust at some point you will tire of driving what sounds like a farm tractor. At least we did, good luck.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

...1989 Ford F150 custom low mile zero rust, 300 straight 6 with a 4-speed manual trans. I believe it's the t18...
Click this, read the caption, inspect the truck thoroughly, and put all its details into your signature:

(phone app link)
I ditched the two catalytic converters and welded in two and a half inch pipe to a Flowmaster Super 40 all the way to the tailpipe.
Bad move. The truck will run best if you maintain it - not re-engineer it. My 4.9L runs like-new with somewhere around 900Kmi (yes, nearly a million) without rebuild because it's virtually stock (despite being in its 3rd chassis).
...I plan on doing a tune-up to it...
That's a carb term. EFIs re-tune themselves ~200x per second.
...checked all the ball joints and leaf springs.
How, exactly? What did you check for, and what did you find?
...I do hear small tick in the back left of the engine bay, I can't tell if that's an exhaust manifold leak yet...
You're probably right. Get a mechanic's stethoscope (or ~3' of garden hose) and listen around the idling engine for a spot that sounds like the tailpipe.

(phone app link)
Also, the steering has some good float to it, I don't know if there's a way to tighten this up?
Of course. But you first need to KNOW where the slop is. If you can't pinpoint it, take it to an alignment shop. The first step is to inspect the suspension & chassis. When they come back with a laundry list of parts they want to replace, ask them to SHOW you each one & what's wrong with it. If they balk, they were just running up the bill. Post the list, and we'll help you sift through it.
Just wondering what some other things I should do...
Buy a Haynes manual & read it cover-to-cover at least once.

(phone app link)

Make notes in it - use a see-through highlighter marker (or crayon so it doesn't bleed through the pages) to cross out sections that DO NOT APPLY to your truck (but leave them readable) so you can find what you need faster. Find the maintenance schedule, and make a list of things that you're NOT SURE have been kept up; and then DO all of those things (especially coolant, brake fluid, trans oil, hinge/latch/seal lubrication...). Read the dates on the tires, and replace those older than 7 years.

(phone app link)

WASH IT. Ignore the painted surfaces - the rain will take care of them. Get everything ELSE: the glass, the lights, the engine bay, the underbody, the drivetrain, & the suspension. Dirt hides problems, so never let it build up - not even a layer of grime. The first few washes will be nasty, so just dress for it & get it done. After that, the more-often you clean it, the easier/quicker it will be.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
WASH IT. Ignore the painted surfaces - the rain will take care of them.
Wow, surprises me you'd say that. I know how **** you are with your vehicles.

IMO if your going to maintain your vehicle then maintain your vehicle. Nothing gets over looked. Nothing.
A little bit of wax and some elbo grease goes a long way. It doesn't have anything to do with how mechanically sound the vehicle is but why go ninety percent when one-hundred percent at that point is so easy to obtain?

If you care, don't care ninety percent, care one hundred percent I guess is what I'm getting at.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I'm not **** about cosmetics - I think I've washed the painted surfaces of my truck 4~6x since I've owned it, including right before painting it, and a couple of times just with a rag in the rain. I use my truck as a truck, and I maintain it scrupulously. But keeping the paint shiny doesn't help me or it. I'm more-worried about the UNpainted metal, which is prone to corrosion. That's why I painted the entire underbody when I built the truck. I also undercoated the entire frame. And I still rinse everything off before I sleep if I go mudding.

But I've never waxed anything I own. I might wax the one I'm building now, but I'll probably just pay someone to do it for me.

Anyway - the point is: there are MANY things his truck needs, and wax or shiny paint isn't anywhere close to the top of the list of priorities.

Quick Reply: 89 custom newbie