Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

87 wont turn over and has coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 wont turn over and has coolant leak

i have a 1987 f150 xlt lariat and it wont turn over and has bad coolant leak. i have heard that i might be a freeze plug issue but i really hope its not so. Please any ideas and questions would be helpful
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by malikjalal
i have a 1987 f150 xlt lariat and it wont turn over and has bad coolant leak. i have heard that i might be a freeze plug issue but i really hope its not so. Please any ideas and questions would be helpful
your post is vague. but usually you start with the common starting issues, battery, starter, alternator.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Ford Tough !!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malikjalal
First determine where the leakage is, then ya might answer your own question.
A freeze plug is better than blown heads
Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM

most likely the leak has nothing to do with it not starting, unless you overheated it and blew it up. when you hit the key does it make any noise? clicking or anything? do all your lights come on? if the lights and everything comes on, then you need to see if your engine is seized, put a socket/ratchet on the crank and see if you can turn it, or if you have a stick shift put it in gear and push truck back and forth and the engine will turn. if your engine turns then your problem is most likely your starter, or wires going to the starter, or starter solenoid.

good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

You might not want to hear this but, it sounds like a blown head gasket. Since your posting two problems at once, im assuming these happened at the same time. From experience, if the engine overheated, it could have blown the head gasket sending coolant into the cylinders. Since water/coolant can NOT compress, the engine can't turn over. My 96' f150 had two freeze plugs leaking and one still does and its working fine. My suggestion is to remove all of the spark plugs. Once they are all removed, try starting the engine. If it is a compression problem, this will tell you what the problem is. When you try to start the truck, only a small amount of fuel mist should shoot from the cylinders. If coolant shoots out, blown head gasket. If alot of fuel shoots out, its a fuel sealing problem. Try this and let us know. This is the simplest way to try and figure out whats going on.

Quick Reply: 87 wont turn over and has coolant leak