Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

87 F150 V8 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 F150 V8 won't start

Im about to have a new project truck thanks to my mother in law... its a 87 f150 Manual Single cab...... her ex husband is sending it back to us and i got word it doesn't start.... It turns over but wont start..... My father in law thinks its the fuel pump.... I have gotten information that he drove it about a month ago with no issues...Now i am new to Fords but not my first rodeo with turning a wrench...... Built a very nice autocross car in high school and have a Jeep cherokee i have pretty much rebuilt from the ground up........Since I'm new to the ford game and its been awhile so i worked on a distributor vehicle i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction and where i should look first....... Any information would be greatly appreciated.... Its a V8 with only 87K miles...... Where should i start first thanks guys...... FYI he didn't take very good care of it........ Really look forward to getting this thing running! I LOVE the truck!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

It's a V8, but is it a 302(5.0 liter) or a 351(5.8 liter)? It will make a difference, because I think the 351 still had a carburetor, the 302 was fuel injection.

You can start by checking for spark by pulling the wire out of the center of the distributor cap and holding it a bit away and watching for spark while spinning the engine over. If you use a remote starter switch to do this without an assistant, don't forget to turn the ignition switch on.

Also make sure the battery has plenty of charge, it will likely be down from cranking try to start it.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM

she's a 302... i know for sure its fuel injected
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

When you get the truck, collect ALL its details as explained in this caption, and put them into your signature so we can see them with each of your posts:

(phone app link)

Right now, you could order a Haynes manual (late red or early blue):

(phone app link)

Do you have a digital multimeter & know how to use it? Change the battery if you haven't recently. Do you have regular tools & a place to work on it? I highly recommend washing it before starting to work on it:

(phone app link)

The first thing to do is a THOROUGH visual inspection, but you'll need to familiarize yourself with what you'll be looking at by reading the Haynes. You can also click my signature link & browse the General Purpose album, and the Diagrams album. Possibly the most-important thing to check is the battery & its terminals, as described in this album:

(phone app link)

Next, go to the Troubleshooting section of Haynes, before Ch. 1. I suspect it will lead you to the ignition diagnostic in Ch.5 (usually Sec.5 or 7, depending on edition), but don't jump ahead. You should also be prepared to put a fuel pressure gauge on it:

(phone app link)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:19 PM

I finally got to mess around with the truck today....... When you turn the key you can't hear the high pressure pump come on..... i crawled under the truck and had my wife turn the key and the fuel pump makes no noise at all..... I listen for the ones in the tank and didn't hear anything from back there either...... this is my first ford and looking for a direction to go... the fuel relay and ecc relay click on when you turn the key.... check the connection of the battery terminal wires also and good to go there??? where should i go from here??? thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 PM

First, you should put all the truck's details into your signature. Then, use a 12V test light (or DMM) to find out if any of the pumps are getting 12V. Do what this pic shows to keep the FP relay on with the key:

(phone app link)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 PM

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted.... but I finally got around to installing a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and she has ZERO fuel pressure.... when you turn the key you can hear no fuel pump hum... I recently bought a test light and have a multimeter and was wondering what direction/where to test for power for fuel...... new to the ford game and any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM

Start with your signature, as I've already said twice. Then do all the other things I said in posts #4 & #6.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Soo I was wrong about motor size it’s a 4.9 I6.... but I finally got around to making the jumper wire and tested the fuel pump connection for power... the fuel pump has power with the key turned on.... still try and turn her over and no start or fuel pump noise what so ever... soo I’m guess the pump is shot???
Old 05-05-2018, 06:12 PM

Idk if it helps but I also had power at the yellow wire on the fuel pump relay

Quick Reply: 87 F150 V8 won't start