Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9 efi replacement project

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9 efi replacement project

i bought a 94 f150 5 speed 2wd with the 4.9. i drove it home to find out that compression was reading 90psi. cosmetically it looks like it belongs in the junk yard but thats what i liked about it. this is the biggest vehicle ive owned and my first 4.9. so went on the interwebs and found a 95 4.9 complete engine and a few other parts for $300 and so the half-assed restore starts. i happen to know how to powder coat so im going to to paint some motor parts along the way. ive decided not to rebuild the motor due to my budget. my main goal is a reliable truck that looks ****ty on the outside and super clean in the engine bay. i live in florida so no emissions here, you know where im going with this. from the stock exhaust manifold im going to do true dual each to a muffler before a side exit. based on my reading no cats means the smog is pointless. i also believe the egr was already deleted, if that is whats on the back side of the intake manifold. so i have to figure out what vacuum lines are really necessary. also getting new motor mounts, trans mount, metal timing gears, fuel injectors( what lbs would be best? ) copper core plugs, cap and rotor, msd cut to size plug wires and an electric fan from a crown vic.

i still have alot to learn so if you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free let me know.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I can appreciate it, my '87 4.9 farm truck's previous owner was a professional alcoholic, not a straight panel on it, including the roof. Still, it only had 87000 on it, and it ran, and still runs very well. Has been in our care for about 20 years, got the bare minimum of care, and delivered better results than most of what I ever owned. Good luck with the project. May the beater truck Gods smile upon you and it.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

looking at this post i cant help but wonder why you want a clean engine bay. me personally would just want it to run reliably. sure that 4.9 will last forever if well maintained, great idea on metal timing gears, that was my the final straw on my old truck. good luck with the build
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Out of all the cars I've owned I've never had a clean engine bay and i kinda feel like its something to take pride in. Since I have the motor out what not try to clean it up a little. The motor in the truck now barely got me home so I guess that's my cue to start tearing apart the front clip. The timing gears was something I read about in the forums here but I'm still struggling to find a decent write up on the efi with minimum vacuum line and deleting egr/smog.

thank you for the support
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

wish i could help with the vacuum lines and deleting egr and smog. i remember my obs, alot of stuff was missing, but it ran fine. miss the simplicity of working on it. if i remember right justcallmesean was the obs guru last time i was in this secton shoot him a pm he might have some advice for you
Old 11-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Last night I took off the front clip and ordered most my parts. Need to make a second trip to the junkyard for more body parts. as you can see in the photo that radiator support needs to be replaced.

thanks for the lead I'll send him a message
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Almost done with it! All that is left is wiring my electric fan, switching power steering pump, oil change and still gotta figure out the vacuum stuff.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking much better