Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 Ford F150 - 165k - rebuild front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ford F150 - 165k - rebuild front suspension

Hey there, I need to replace my lower ball joint on the passenger front side. The truck is probably due for some maintenance, what else should I replace while doing the ball joints? I have new pads and rotors waiting to go in, I'm thinking wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and new shocks. Any input would be appreciated, I recently graduated college and have a little more disposable income so I would like to get my truck back into good shape.

Any specific brands I should try and buy?
Thanks,
James
Old 02-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you are going in that deep to replace the ball joints, then go big - Ball joints, wheel bearings and seals, brake pads, rotors, calipers, tie rods - if its a 4WD then you should also do spindle bearings and seals and front axle U joints. If the front differential needs servicing in any way, now is the time to pull it while everything is out. Also a good time to replace or service 4WD hubs.

It would also be a good idea to look at/replace the radius arm bushings, axle pivot bushings, and sway bar links/bushings. New coil springs would be nice, as well as new shocks. When you are done, plan on getting a full alignment that will almost certainly require the installation of new camber bushings.

Ball joints, Tie rods, Springs - Moog
Bearings - Timken
Seals - National or Timken
Universal joints - Dana/Spicer original or MOOG
Brakes - Wagner, Raybestos, or Motorcraft
Shocks - This will get the biggest debate - I like KYB Excel G for stock replacements.

Are you doing the work yourself? I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend rockauto.com for all the parts. Amazon is good too for the heavy stuff, especially if you have a prime membership

Welcome to the forum! We encourage newbies to post pictures of your truck.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth

Are you doing the work yourself? I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend rockauto.com for all the parts. Amazon is good too for the heavy stuff, especially if you have a prime membership

Welcome to the forum! We encourage newbies to post pictures of your truck.
First of all, thank you so much for the info!
I do intend on doing the work myself, especially if I'm going to replace all these components at once. I was considering having a local shop do the work but I didn't realize the ball joints were that intensive.

I could just buy all the parts and have my local shop do the install, I have a manual for all the torque specs but it would be nice to just have them do it as well, been working a lot lately and time is scarce at the moment. I'll get a better pic of the truck up shortly. This is all i have for now.
Thanks,
James
Old 02-04-2018, 06:34 PM

How she sits now, pretty dirty and you can see the metal dust and rusty schmoo on the passenger front due to wear from the brakes and metal on metal rubbing.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 325 Likes on 192 Posts

I agree with BLDTruth! I'm not real high on the auto repair skill scale, but I managed to change out all the ball joints, all the tie rods, and the steering box myself. Mechanic shop just did the front wheel bearings though. If you're at all inclined, I'd suggest giving it a go yourself! You don't have to do it all at once either, I did my repairs at different times as money and time allowed. But I know you will love your truck even more when you get the front end all re-done, I know that's how it was for me!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

A 4WD with the cab steps still attached? WOW! You should have a COMPLETE description of the truck in your signature, though. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

For lots of pics & diagrams explaining how to work on the brakes & hubs, click my signature link and scroll down to the Brakes & Hubs album. For the ball joints, the Font Diff & Ball Joints album is closer to the top of the album list.

That may be the first '96 EB I've seen with bright w/s mouldings. And the rear bumper doesn't look original... What does the badge under the R headlight say?

Last edited by Steve83; 02-04-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Those diagrams that Steve83 has are basically what I used when I rebuilt my front end. Really good stuff.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:21 AM

Steve, your sig contains some serious info. I love it. I'll hopefully get a more detailed description of my vehicle tomorrow after work for you guys.

Last edited by Rallyfast; 02-09-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: not relevant info.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I don't recommend any of those Moog parts, except maybe the BJs. But I'd price MotorCraft on eBay & Amazon before buying any aftermarket brand. Look in those photo albums - many of the captions contain links for the parts shown.

For all the rubber bushings, I highly recommend Energy Polyurethane BLACK. I've driven on some for decades, removed them, thrown away the truck frame, and reused the poly in another chassis.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM

I can vouch for Moog on pretty much everything. I have their ball joints, coil springs, sway bar links and bushings, and tie rods on my truck. They are as good as OEM or better in most cases. Their problem solver series is one of the best lines out there.

Energy Suspension is also awesome - I have some of their bushings on my truck too.

AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN IN CAPS SO EVERYONE HEARS ME. Use Rockauto.com. Unless you like wasting money.

My $.02.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ford F150 - 165k - rebuild front suspension