Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 F150 5.8L hard start, very rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1995 F150 5.8L hard start, very rough idle

So im new to this forum so bare with me. For starters ill give the basic info
1995 F-150 XLT 5.8L originally 2wd previous owner converted to 4wd

So my problem is on cold starts when trying to start her ill crank it over once and she sounds like she wants to start but wont, then usually on the second try she fires right up. Also when driving up a steep grade at about 45 mph she will fall straight on her face and leave me chugging up the hill at about 25-30mph if im lucky. With some automotive mechanical experience i initially assumed it was a fuel issue. So i started moving down the list of items that would cause fuel pressure issues. When key turned to ON position i hear the fuel pump turn on, so im not sure its the fuel pump. So then i replaced the fuel pressure regulator but still hard start. Fuel filter looks stock so it could be plugged up...but now yesterday morning after the usual hard start i drove a couple miles and came to a stop light and the idle was very rough and she seemed like she wanted to die but didnt. Got to work, parked her for 8 hours and when i came back and tried to start her it took much much longer for her to start and when she finally did i had the very rough idle, its rougher when in drive but im guessing that is due to a higher rpm when in gear. So thats where i am and i cant figure out whats wrong! Also, may be unrelated but recently a new sound under the hood has started which sounds like a high rpm, loud, higher pitched metallic sound coming from around or near either my distributor or ignition coil...i can best describe it sounding like a minature sewing machine if that makes sense.

Cant tell whats been replaced by previous owner other than an after market MSD ignition coil.

I have replaced: Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotar, oil/filter, fuel pressure regulator.

CEL has been on since i bought it (june of this year) so i checked the codes and got 335 which pointed me to the EGR where when i looked i found the vacuum line that conects to the top was broken so i did a quick fix with a piece of rubber tubing. The CEL is now off. On the same day that i "fixed" the vacuum hose i also did a sea foam treatment through the brake booster line, which iv heard has its own risks. Everything seemed A-OK that night...but then the next morning is when i started having the bigger issues. i would like to narrow down the search before i start throwing parts at it because im on a very tight budget... i regret saying this but i hope i didnt get myself into a money pit.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME GET MY BABY RUNNING BETTER

Last edited by BuiltAmericanTough; 10-27-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Left some information out
Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

get a fuel pressure gauge, 99% sure it is your pump losing pressure, and sounds like the check valve is bad too.
to check the valve:: on a cold start up turn the key on (without starting) and let the pump cycle, do this about 5 times. then try to start, if it fires right up then your check valve in the pump is bad letting the fuel flow back into the tank off the fuel rails.
(to fix this problem you have to replace the pump/s)
Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 AM

I didnt even know about the check valve, good idea sir! i wasnt leaning towards the fuel pump because i could hear it running, but that would make some sense if it was leaking pressure. Its had this hard start cold start problem for almost four months now...do you think a fuel pump in its dyings stages could last that long? I know there cant be an affirmative answer to that so i guess all there is to do is buy that fuel pressure gauge and check it out
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This can also be symptoms of T.P.S., and Ignition Control Module.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM

What PSI should it be at when the key is turned to "on" I just tested it with my nifty new fuel pressure gauge and I only got up to 8 psi and within ten minutes or so it's back to 0 psi... Gonna take a wild guess and assume that ain't right
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BuiltAmericanTough
What PSI should it be at when the key is turned to "on" I just tested it with my nifty new fuel pressure gauge and I only got up to 8 psi and within ten minutes or so it's back to 0 psi... Gonna take a wild guess and assume that ain't right
Way too low. Your fuel pressure regulator could be bad
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM

So I don't have time to be working on my truck because I'm busy with my job, soo I got it towed to the mechanic to have him fix the fuel pump but sure enough I get a call saying that my truck turned over just fine for them.... I'm at a loss. I need my truck for work but can't risk getting stranded when she doesn't feel like working. Could it still be my pump only working sometimes?

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 5.8L hard start, very rough idle