Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1993 5.0 V8 - Having a hard time diagnosing issues all creeping in at once..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 5.0 V8 - Having a hard time diagnosing issues all creeping in at once..

Engine sounded funny (almost the way a lawn tractor sounds) one day on my way to work, checked the oil... Nothing in there. Yikes. Filled it up with oil, ok. Noise continued, next morning noticed a small puddle of oil underneath. Drain plug was a little loose so i tightened it up. Leak persisted.

Coolant reservoir is empty too. Did a flush and new thermostat for that as it was due and I had the time. Got underneath and realized I was out of my league to chase the leak.

Took it into the shop and they found a leak in the trans pan, and a fuel leak. Fixed those issues. Said there was a leak at the oil filter but they just tightened it.

No more leaks in the morning, but the noise continues. Now I noticed the coolant reservoir is empty again. Weird, ok, maybe from the flush I didn't put enough in. Filled that up. Drove it the next 2 days, no overheating at all but the coolant reservoir is empty again.

Checked the oil dipstick and it does not look "milky" at all. Also the engine doesn't overheat.

Help!!

Help...
Old 09-03-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,488 Posts

How exactly have you determined that the engine doesn't overheat? The dash gauge relies on coolant to read temperature - if it's dry (low or empty), it shows cool, no matter how hot the engine gets. Find the coolant leak, or pay someone to find it, or get rid of the truck.

Quick Reply: 1993 5.0 V8 - Having a hard time diagnosing issues all creeping in at once..