Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1991 f150, manual, 4.9--revving beyond gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 f150, manual, 4.9--revving beyond gears?

I do not know how to describe what is happening so it is hard to search the forum, which I have done. If anyone can point me to a prior post addressing what the issue described below, I won't take offense to being referred to that post!!

The truck shifts crisply, and the clutch feels as if it is substantial. Recently, I have noticed that the engine seems to free-spool (see, here is where it is hard not knowing the proper terms) if I gas it in any gear. In other words, if I shift to 4th gear at low rpms, then gas it, the rpms will raise but the truck won't accelerate at the same speed as the rpms indicate. This happens in all 5 gears, and seems to be getting progressively worse. If I drive deliberately, you would never detect a problem.

I just put a FORD fuel pump in this thing and hope it isn't something bad with trans. Is there a throttle sensor or something I am missing that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Don K.; 11-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you actually hear the RPM's rise when the gauge says it is?

My trucks rpm gauge would spike when I stepped on it and wander around but the motor was steadily increasing like usual. The spark plugs ended up being my problem.

Otherwise if you hear the motor actually revving then your clutch is slipping and needs replacing
Old 11-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no tachometer--it is actually revving. damn it guess i needs a clutch!

Quick Reply: 1991 f150, manual, 4.9--revving beyond gears?