Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1990 F150 wipers dont work

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1990 F150 wipers dont work

Edit** problem has been fixed for now. See below as a how to diagnose problem with pictures.

Hello,

My wipers started acting strange lately. At first they would run super slow unless it it was on high. When on high it would run like normal.

Until finally they wouldnt run at all. It pegs the 12volt indicator as having a drag (like going from 12V-14V normal down to 6V-8V. It is a 2 wire, and i can attach a picture.

I saw there was a switch from 2 wire to 1 wire connector from a TSB, but i cant find that TSB anywhere. If i pull off all connectors to the wiper motor, can i run a negative jumper to the ground, and a positive jumper to one of the other 4 terminals?

Anyone have any info on this TSB i read about on these forums? I have done a lot of reading this week on this issue, but i cant find a wiring diagram to show what terminals do what on the wiper motor.

Thanks in advance guys,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 1990 F150 wipers dont work-wiper-motor1.jpg   1990 F150 wipers dont work-wiper-motor-2.jpg  

Last edited by mach1threat; 12-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM

*** update. Just ran some jumpers to test the motor on the vehicle. i took some primary wire on aligator clips and attached them to the corresponding terminals on the bottom wiring harness. The motor ran, but sounded like it was straining a little. Probably because the truck was not on. gotta be a switch somewhere or a weak motor
Old 12-22-2014, 08:03 PM

update 2, got them to work by the switch! I noticed that when i opened the hood, all the rain drained right onto that terminal in red. I think what happened is that it got corroded over time and got gunked up and may have caused an arc between the part thats highlighted in red.

After reseating the bottom plug after doing a jumper test i sprayed the crap out of the whole area with WD40, and scrubbed the red area with wire brush. Also sprayed down the ground cable and scrubbed that (Indicated in black).

second image is a better look at a brand new wiper motor terminals for the bottom wiring harness. The terminal closest to the other wiring harness is the ground, the sideways one is low, and the other one is high. MAKE sure you dont arc between the two, its very hard to reach and very easy to make a mistake. Esp in the rain!

Thanks for your time guys, hope this helps someone else out in the future. WD40, wire brush, and new wiring seems to be the only problems i have with this truck! its a beast.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 F150 wipers dont work-wiper-motor1.jpg   1990 F150 wipers dont work-img_1160.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
broncojunkie (12-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Do yourself a favor and coat around that connector with dielectric grease to help keep some of the water out and corrosion at bay. Glad you got it going.
The following users liked this post:
mach1threat (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 PM

do you squirt that stuff in the connectors too?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Thin layer is all you need, you get too much and they won't go together. But you can coat the outside and it will keep moisture from getting in, you could actually use anything to do that though (vaseline, grease, just anything that isn't water soluble).
Old 12-23-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad I stumbled across this. Mine has been acting up like this and getting worse. Will check it tomorrow! thanks
Old 12-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mach1threat
Edit** problem has been fixed for now. See below as a how to diagnose problem with pictures.

Hello,

My wipers started acting strange lately. At first they would run super slow unless it it was on high. When on high it would run like normal.

Until finally they wouldnt run at all. It pegs the 12volt indicator as having a drag (like going from 12V-14V normal down to 6V-8V. It is a 2 wire, and i can attach a picture.

I saw there was a switch from 2 wire to 1 wire connector from a TSB, but i cant find that TSB anywhere. If i pull off all connectors to the wiper motor, can i run a negative jumper to the ground, and a positive jumper to one of the other 4 terminals?

Anyone have any info on this TSB i read about on these forums? I have done a lot of reading this week on this issue, but i cant find a wiring diagram to show what terminals do what on the wiper motor.

Thanks in advance guys,

Joe
Glad you got it working! Just to throw in my .02, Grab a bottle of RainX. I apply it to my car/truck windows every 4 months or so and never really need to use the wipers. Water just rolls off all of the windows, and it makes removing frost and ice a breeze (just wipes right off). I know it isn't a solution to your issue, but I can't say enough about the stuff!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

My only problem with rainX is that it seems to make the windows foggy in the mornings, at least it does here. It seems like my windows are fogged over every morning for the first couple of weeks after I apply it then not as bad until I re-apply, is this just my imagination?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM

My wipers quit again today after i was parked on a hill. I have rainx but i cant find it of course. Lol.

I did get the window spray from a grocery store that helps a little. Tried cleaning those points again and added dialectic grease to no avail

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 wipers dont work