Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1989 F250 - help with stuff in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 F250 - help with stuff in engine bay

Hello

I am new to the forum - from Edmonton AB Canada

I recently picked up an old 1989 F250 ext cab 4x4 to pull a quad trailer during summer months so that we can bring them when we go camping.

This truck has sat for a while, driven maybe 1-2 times a year for the past 5-7 years. Bought it off of my wifes brother and he said he only drive it a cpl times a year to pull his quad trailer & for hunting.

I want to do some basic maintenance to make sure its running as good as possible. Id like to change the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, chg oil, chg as many fluids as possible, and chg fuel filter & pcv valve and air filter

Anything else that Im forgetting?

I opened up the hood and man there is a lot of crap in the engine bay......looks like the spark plugs are gonne be tough to reach - may have to remove some stuff to get at them. Im a little hesitant to do this as I dont have a lot of 'wrenchin skills'

Is there anywhere I can get a detailed diagram of this engine listing what all the parts & hoses & stuff are?

Are there things I can just remove from the engine bay permanently??? To make things easier to work on??

Any advice for this newb would be appreciated!!!

Old 01-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd consider purchasing the Hayne's manual. I bought one used off either Amazon or eBay for less than $10.
The following users liked this post:
CdnBigBlue (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnBigBlue
I want to do some basic maintenance to make sure its running as good as possible.
If you want it to run right, don't do "some", and don't do only "basic" - do ALL the maintenance recommended by Ford. And use only top-quality parts & proper techniques.
...the spark plugs are gonne be tough to reach...
If you're under 5'10", buy a stepstool; if you're under 5'6", buy a "topside creeper" or just a foam mat to lay across the fender/core support so your chest isn't against the steel. Another way to get at the plugs is to remove the plastic wheelwells, which can be made easier when you re-install them the first time, by reversing one bolt and lubricating the others. Click this & read the captions:

(phone app link)
Is there anywhere I can get a detailed diagram of this engine listing what all the parts & hoses & stuff are?
Depends on how "detailed" you mean. There are many diagrams from many sources (some free on the web - some not), with varying levels of detail, focusing on various aspects.
Are there things I can just remove from the engine bay permanently?
I'll never understand why anyone thinks that. No, I've never found any automaker to just throw unnecessary parts under the hood of any vehicle. If it's there, it's there for a reason. Most of the parts under the hood are there to make the engine run right. Rip them out, and it probably WON'T.
To make things easier to work on?
If that's your goal, take the engine out - then it'll be easier to work on what's left.

(phone app link)

But it won't run very well.
Any advice for this newb would be appreciated!
Buy the Haynes manual, and read it cover-to-cover at least once.

(phone app link)

While you're waiting for it to arrive, WASH the truck. Not the parts that the rain takes care of - EVERYTHING ELSE.

(phone app link)

A few times. From various angles, using various equipment. Let it dry, scrape or brush the stuff that didn't come off, and wash it again.

That engine is particularly known for catching fire. Both due to fuel system problems, AND the alternator (which is common to many Ford vehicles of the era). So pay close attention to them. I'm not particularly familiar with the fuel problems or repairs/upgrades, but when the alternator exhibits ANY hint of a problem, swap to the later 3G - it's almost PnP, and a VAST improvement in every way.

Last edited by Steve83; 01-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.
CdnBigBlue (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Doesn't sound like you'll use it much harder than the seller did. If it's running fine, no missing or anything, why not just change the engine oil and the filters then make sure all the fluids are full. Maybe pull one plug out and have a look but the wires look decent and I'd bet the plugs are also good. No need to fix what's not broken, heck there's always something that could be done on these old trucks.
CdnBigBlue (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
If you want it to run right, don't do "some", and don't do only "basic" - do ALL the maintenance recommended by Ford. And use only top-quality parts & proper techniques.If you're under 5'10", buy a stepstool; if you're under 5'6", buy a "topside creeper" or just a foam mat to lay across the fender/core support so your chest isn't against the steel. Another way to get at the plugs is to remove the plastic wheelwells, which can be made easier when you re-install them the first time, by reversing one bolt and lubricating the others. Click this & read the captions:

(phone app link)
Depends on how "detailed" you mean. There are many diagrams from many sources (some free on the web - some not), with varying levels of detail, focusing on various aspects.I'll never understand why anyone thinks that. No, I've never found any automaker to just throw unnecessary parts under the hood of an vehicle. If it's there, it's there for a reason. Most of the parts under the hood are there to make the engine run right. Rip them out, and it probably WON'T.If that's your goal, take the engine out - then it'll be easier to work on what's left.

(phone app link)

But it won't run very well.Buy the Haynes manual, and read it cover-to-cover at least once.

(phone app link)

While you're waiting for it to arrive, WASH the truck. Not the parts that the rain takes care of - EVERYTHING ELSE.

(phone app link)

A few times. From various angles, using various equipment. Let it dry, scrape or brush the stuff that didn't come off, and wash it again.

That engine is particularly known for catching fire. Both due to fuel system problems, AND the alternator (which is common to many Ford vehicles of the era). So pay close attention to them. I'm not particularly familiar with the fuel problems or repairs/upgrades, but when the alternator exhibits ANY hint of a problem, swap to the later 3G - it's almost PnP, and a VAST improvement in every way.

Thanks for the tips......like I said, I am a newb to vehicle maintenance so I never even thought of removing the fender well liners. That should definitely make getting at the spark plugs easier.

Quick Reply: 1989 F250 - help with stuff in engine bay