Topic Sponsor

Wont start with signifigant jump, interior lights act strange

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start with signifigant jump, interior lights act strange

this is how it started. drove truck, left lights on after i shut it off for 5-10 minutes. i went to start and I couldn't. Tried to jump from another vehicle, but didnt work. added a deep cycle battery to the jump, still wouldnt start. So I tried it with the truck battery disconnected and barely got it to start. Drove it home 2 miles. If I try to start with just the battery the dome light in the cab is on as well as dash lights, when I go to start it doesnt, not even any clicking, also dash and dome lights go out. the dash lights dont come back on until i let it sit for some time. Tried jumpering the Relay, it clicked once and then nothing, also thought I saw a puff of smoke...maybe, from where i dont know. checked all ground connections and they look solid, but havent brushed anything up or disconnected/reconnect anything. Tried the battery from our van...it wouldnt start, but when I put the deep cycle battery in it did, when it was running I tried turning on the head lights and the truck shut off. WHAT IS THIS THING DOING????
Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM

oh forgot, the battery(truck battery) was tested and is fine, I also put it into my van and that battery was able to start my van, so its not the battery
Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

What you are describing is SOMEWHAT typical of posts I read now and then.

You have a loose or dirty battery cable connection, or possibly a bad battery cable. Start by cleaning the inside of both battery cables that hook onto the battery posts and also the outside of the battery posts. Make sure they are bare metal clean and also that they tighten up properly. Yes I realize you have had them unhooked several times already, but.

If that doesn't fix it follow the negative battery cable to where it is connected and clean that connection. Also make sure the bolt on the solenoid that has the positive battery cable and some other cables hooked on it, is tight and clean.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Rose (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 PM

UPDATE: worked with a buddy on the truck...it was doing some wierd things. took 3 batterys hooked up to barely get it started, once started evertime you turned on a device like the fan or radio the truck wouldbog down and nearly die...infact the headlights would just kill it. but it ran without a battery hooked up so we new the alternator worked. we decided to go to the parts store and buy brushes to brush up connection even though they looked decent. the next morning when i got to the negative terminal it was actually well corroded where it was clamp and I could not see it. brushed the starter relay connections and battery connection including brushed off the pain on the terminal connectors and reconnected the wires. dipped copper wire in vinegar/salt heated solution to disolve corrosion. AFTER ALL THIS AND ONLY THIS SHE FIRED RIGHT UP AND EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Dirty connections cause more no-crank issues than anything else.

Quick Reply: Wont start with signifigant jump, interior lights act strange