Topic Sponsor

Oil Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Oil Gauge Question

Hey everyone, my truck is a 1991 4.9L 300 I6. I was changing the spark plugs in my truck and I accidentally hit the wire to the oil sending unit right beside of the oil filter, my hand slipped and I hit it. Well the oil gauge wasn't working after, so I got a stick and poked the wire and it started working again, only it wasn't reading right all the time, sometimes it would read and sometimes it wouldn't. Well I thought it was loose even more, so I went out there today and pushed the wire all the way up on the unit. Well the oil gauge doesn't work now. it doesn't matter what I do with the wire, it still doesn't work. Could the unit be bad? It's about 1 year and 8 months old. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. It was actually working before I touched the wires today, it just wasn't reading right. The truck still runs perfectly fine. Is it ok to drive it as long as I keep a close eye on the oil and stuff? It's never had any problems before with the oil. thanks everyone.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

The oil gauge is just decoration, doesn't even read accurately. You probably broke the wire internally, it happens. You can buy the little boots for it to fix the wire and it won't affect driving at all.

Quick Reply: Oil Gauge Question