Topic Sponsor

No start after replacing steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Been having a no start issue...ignition switch actuator rod broke in the column on my '90, so I had it rebuilt by a local steering column shop. Put the column back in, hooked everything back up, but when I turn the key to the start position, lights/radio come on, fuel pump comes on, voltmeter drops a bit, but no crank or even a click from the solenoid.

I ran into this issue a few months back when my ignition switch went out for the first time. Got a faulty switch on my first trip to the parts store and had all of the same symptoms I'm having now, but I replaced the original ignition switch with a new Borg Warner one and it fixed it. Until now. So I replaced THAT ignition switch with a new one. Still doesn't work . Replaced with a NAPA brand switch, still nothing.

Does anyone know how to test the switch?
Could it be the solenoid? It turned over slowly when I jumped the solenoid with the key in the "run" position.

Last edited by Moose_God; 04-17-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish I could help but I haven't had to do one. All I can think of is it sounds like a break between the switch and the starter. Have you checked the for connectivity in the harness? I've had to replace the wires from the starter due to corrosion, it was something I didn't think of until after I replaced the starter and still nothing. o_0 I shouldn't have been lazy, I should have jumped the starter.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Maybe while you had everything apart the battery ran down, charge and check it.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM

The battery did in fact run down due to the headlight switch being on while I had the trim panel pulled loose.

I was jumping it off of a Super Duty when I was messing around with it yesterday, but I left it on the battery charger overnight and I'm about to head back out with a new solenoid and see where that gets me...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

There is a little bit of adjustment in the switch. Also they like to pull in half and then don't work right. Yo can try taking the switch off and doing it by hand. Also if automatic the gear shifter could be misadjusted so the neutral start switch won't allow it to start.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM

I believe I adjusted the switch correctly...even pulled it toward me and tightened the nuts down so it would engage the starter for sure...nothing. So I just left it where it would turn on the accessories if you rotate it back past the lock and still turn to on and start positions correctly.

Replaced the solenoid with no improvement as well. Finally threw in the towel and had the wrecker I work for tow it to a local shop for a diagnosis. I'll post up whenever they figure out what the issue is. I'm gonna be irritated if they tell me it was a bad ignition switch....
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moose_God
I believe I adjusted the switch correctly...even pulled it toward me and tightened the nuts down so it would engage the starter for sure...nothing. So I just left it where it would turn on the accessories if you rotate it back past the lock and still turn to on and start positions correctly.

Replaced the solenoid with no improvement as well. Finally threw in the towel and had the wrecker I work for tow it to a local shop for a diagnosis. I'll post up whenever they figure out what the issue is. I'm gonna be irritated if they tell me it was a bad ignition switch....
Let us know what they find.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Got it back from the shop today! Turns out it was the clutch switch. I knew I was overlooking something cheap and simple. $45 later, she's back on the road and ready for the lift and tires to go on this weekend.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Good for you, glad to see you got treated fairly.

Quick Reply: No start after replacing steering column