Topic Sponsor

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Issues

Hi all . . .

I have a 1995 F150 4x4 with a 4.9. I have had problems that "feel" like they may be electrically related, but I cannot be sure.

I woke up to a dead battery today and I began trying to figure out why. I put the battery on charger for a few hours then started the truck. It was running a little rough, like it was begging for fuel.

Out of curiosity, while the engine was running, I pulled the positive terminal off the battery to see of it would still run and it did; and it ran much better! Go figure!

I tested the battery and it is great, or so it seems. When starting the truck I still have a little over 10 cranking amps. So . . . I tested the alternator and was only putting out about 12 amps, and according to many, it should put out 14.5 amps; so I replaced the alternator; it made no difference at all.

I am stumped . . . I disconnect the positive terminal and the engine runs great, I hook it back up and it idles terrible, like it is either starving for fuel or spark . . . Any Ideas???
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If you keep pulling the cable off while it's running you're going to fry something. That isn't how you test alternators anymore.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, logic dictates that since it seems to run better without the battery, and runs bad with, then there must be an issue with the battery. Try having someone else test it to make sure your right. I would assume your new alternator is good, but it might not be. Also I would check all the grounds.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues