Topic Sponsor

92 f150 351w

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 f150 351w

So, I have my truck which I love, it's always ran strong. The other day I go out to go to work and I fire her up and almost to my jobsite I notice my battery light in the dash is on and then boom it stalls. I wait a couple seconds and turn her over and she fired right up and I was able to pull over and park until I was off work and could have it towed. When I started it up the battery light was on and my battery guage showed a range of 8-10 volts. But still would start right up Everytime. I get her home pull the battery and take it to the parts store to be tested and I bought a new alternator. Battery showed good cells but only about 50% charge. I thought OK it's gotta be my alternator. So I swap them out fire her up and she purred like a kitten. No dash lights were on anymore. So I shut it off and a couple hrs later went to start it and it wouldn't start my guage went from perfect running volts to hovering above 8 and the truck not starting however my starter turns over and the truck wants to fire up but wont. What do I do next?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

look for a large load on the 12 volt circuit. Easy was is to insert an Ammeter in the 12v line at the battery and unplug fuses one by one until the load goes to near Zero.

A clamp on ammeter is great, but expensive to go out and buy one for the test.

Have you added any 12v loads recently or repaired something involving the 12vDC line
Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Check all the grounding points ... frame ...starter...alt double check the batt cables.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM

I have checked all the ground connections I have not added anything to pull from the battery recently except for replacing the alternator. I will go out now and hook my meter up and pull fuses. Thank you guys for your responses I really appreciate all the advice and tips! I'll post what I find as soon as I am done.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
look for a large load on the 12 volt circuit. Easy was is to insert an Ammeter in the 12v line at the battery and unplug fuses one by one until the load goes to near Zero.

A clamp on ammeter is great, but expensive to go out and buy one for the test.

Have you added any 12v loads recently or repaired something involving the 12vDC line

So I used a test light cause my meter wasn't showing any significant changes and the only fuse when pulled that made the light go out was #8 which is my courtesy lights, dome light, radio and clock memory, and speedometer memory. I also tried jumping it with my other car and that didn't even help raise amperage on the guage in the truck. It's still only showing around 8 amps...