Topic Sponsor

I there a Radio Guru in the House?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I there a Radio Guru in the House?

So its time for my old JVC AM/FM Radio/CD player to hit the hiway and was planning on doing a Bluetooth/AM-FM radio. So my question is will I have to do anything extra,pricey or odd mods to install this radio being a 94 F-150 with a standard radio. My son the Engineer seems to think I will have to install an amp of some sort to accommodate this new radio -w- bluetooth or it wont have much power going to the speakers. Here is a link to the radio i was thinking of getting>> http://www.crutchfield.com/p_123RIO/...0.html?tp=5684
Old 11-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

That receiver does not appear to have bluetooth, FYI.

You should not need a separate amplifier for speakers especially if they are stock. What you need to make sure of is that the receiver you buy has a built in amplifier. And you will need a wiring harness that will plug into the factory plugs, that you can then splice into the harness that comes with the deck.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-1985-20...wiring+harness

For a bluetooth receiver, I would recommend Alpine, Kenwood, or Sony - in that order.

This would be a good choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KMM-B...media+receiver
Old 11-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Lol, it most definintly DOES have bluetooth. Even states this in the description. While you do not need an external amplifier, it will no doubt make anything you listen to sound better than the inexpensive IC (internal chip) amplifer will. Think dynamic headroom. Though, if using stock speakers your total upper and lower frequencies will be restricted to the limits of the stock speakers. For additional clarity any radio you will be looking at, for the most part, will have an amplifier built in. The purpose of buying a radio without an amplifier built in is so that there is more room for better performing components. These types of radios are called tuners and they do not have amplifiers built in. They follow the premise that you will be adding high grade external amps. All other radios with amplifiers built in and called receivers. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 11-05-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Yes it has bluetooth for hands free phone use, but does not allow audio streaming. So that would be a deal breaker for me. But it might work for the OP.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you currently have a JVC the easy way to do it is to get a new JVC or Kenwood since they GENERALLY use the same harness. The Kenwood I had in my 94 wasn't cutting it so I put a new JVC with bluetooth and it was plug and play.

Last edited by theofficialtiny; 01-31-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost, any kind of audio wiring should be soldered for the best sound quality. Aside from that, I would say either Kenwood or Clarion are the best way to go right now as far as head units are concerned. When you get the new unit, make sure you get the adapter harness as well, as they make the install so much easier.

As for added components, it largely depends on what type and range of speaker you want to run. Most off the rack components will work just fine with the internal pre amplifier of the head unit. You may want a crossover to help separate the tweeter from the mid range and low end, but outside of that, you should be fine with just the u it and speakers.

As far as a subwoofer goes, you will need an amplifier to run that, but they can be bought for fairly cheap, depending again on what kind of quality and what kind of bass you are after. Generally speaking the smaller the subwoofer, 8-10 inches, will have a tighter bass good for most types of non-bass heavy music. Anything above that will begin to have a lot of heavy vibrating bass, that will distort the sound a bit, as you go bigger. Personally, I run 3 TW3 JL10 subs and Focal 165 Flax cone component speakers, but I'm a bit of a stickler for my audio. It all falls back on what you want, and how much you want to spend. If you have any questions about anything audio, feel free to message me about it.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having recently replaced the factory head unit, I went with a Kenwood Tuner (KMM-BT318U-$89) without CD but with AM/FM, Bluetooth, USB and Auxiliary input, and Sirius/XM capability. I used and soldered an adapter ($11) for the vehicle harness to the power and Speaker harnesses. There is an antenna required for Sirius/XM (SXV300V1-$69) and the tuner had the mating connector for that antenna. I replaced the factory speakers with Kenwood speakers as well (KFC-1366S-$40 & KFC-C6866S-$60). The Bluetooth microphone clips to the sun visor. Completely soldered, removed, and installed in under 3 hours. $308 total and my sweat, blood, and time. Sounds pleasant but won't compete with the Whippersnapper's set-ups. It didn't cost 2-6 month's mortgage but won't give a back massage either.
A couple of notes for you...
Kenwood and JVC are the same company now, yet with brand separation.
The tuner I bought suffers from cost-point construction; $89 got me precisely the features I sought but the board lacks. The first unit wouldn't tune right; the replacement for it won't display the clock. I was going to go Alpine but didn't want to lose a window and a stereo...
I have larger 16ga wire ($22) to install soon with the proper quality connectors ($17).
Old 06-05-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just recently put a Pioneer MVH-290BT (link below) my 1994 F150 standard cab. Works well and does what I need it to. I loaded up a 32GB USB mini drive with all of my favorite stuff, plugged it in, and I just leave it on random. I also replaced the door and back speakers with Pyle 6.5s (front) and Kenwood 6x8s (rear). With the new setup, it is plenty loud and much clearer than the stock set up. I also got the radio wiring harness adapter, speaker harness adapters, and radio puller so the install was a breeze and there was no cutting any wires.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Replaced my 20+ year old factory equipment with this deck, Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X502 ,and some Kicker speakers from crutchfield. Definitely recommend getting the wire harness. I could have spliced it all, but it's worth the money to just plug and play. I also went with open box and refurbished options to save about $70. Sound is amazing and no amp needed.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesn64
...will I have to do anything extra,pricey or odd mods to install this radio...
Not unless you want steering wheel controls (which isn't crazy-expensive or difficult).

(phone app link)
Originally Posted by jonesn64
...I will have to install an amp of some sort to accommodate this new radio -w- bluetooth or it wont have much power going to the speakers.
You don't want "too much power going to the speakers" - it'll blow them. So no amp, unless you replace the speakers with some that need & can handle an amp.