Topic Sponsor

Help with Front End Diagnosis? Grindy/crunchie

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Front End Diagnosis? Grindy/crunchie

I just bought a 1994 F-150 XL 300-6, and when I did, there was next to no oil in the front diff. The guy said he used to add it, before use, and that it leaked. So I put in about 1.5l until it was full, and decided to test the 4x4. Ugh. When I put it in 4H, and locked in the hubs, it, at first, did quite a power wobble and wow, talk about grinding, crunching sounds.

I did an experiment, I put it back in 2H, left the hubs locked, and it still made incredible grinding, crunching soudns, and vibration/shimmying.

When I am in 4H, but the hubs are NOT locked in, it's not quite as bad. It's far worse with those hubs locked in. The t-case has a lot of oil stains on the bottom.

I thought tomorrow I'd raise it, and check for front wheel movement/play, and check the fluid on the t-case.

Oh, and, even if I roll to a stop in neutral then fully engage the foot brake, it WILL NOT go into neutral or low range, on the floor shifter. It says to push down, well it won't even do that. At all. And I put some arm into it, I'm no weakling. I've owned a manual 300-6 4x4 f-150 before, I realize they take a bit of persuasion, this WILL NOT go into anything but 2H or 4H.

Thanks for any diagnosis tips.

It seems to run fine in 2WD.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Latest

This morning I jacked up the drivers front wheel, and check for top to bottom play, pushing and pulling to see if the wheel bearings are totally shot. No wobble
Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I bet money that the fromt fiff was was run low on fluid too many times and the teeth are all scarred up, and the bearings are most likely toasted. And if the previous owner let that stuff go I'd also be suspect of the transfer case.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 PM

Default thanks

You're probably right. Now to learn HOW to make sure of that. 90's Ford parts are easy to come by cheap around here. Every canadian and their dog has an old Ford, in their back 40.

Quick Reply: Help with Front End Diagnosis? Grindy/crunchie