Topic Sponsor

'95 xmsn

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Default '95 xmsn

Inherited this truck from my late father in law. (93 year old WWII vet with dementia)

1995 with a 5.0 and auto, 114,000K miles. Tried to drive it yesterday. The OD light on the shifter was flashing shortly after starting to drive, and it wouldn't upshift until about 40 mph. A few moments later the xmsn dis-engaged (engine would rev, but no drive from the xmsn) and I had to coast to the side of the road. Rolled to the side of the road. Then it seemed OK and I drove back to the house. It seemed OK for most of the (2 miles?) drive except for a couple of jerks from the drive line.

The xmsn fluid seems to be over filled. Checked while running.

Where do I start to trouble shoot this?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 60DRB
Inherited this truck from my late father in law. (93 year old WWII vet with dementia)

1995 with a 5.0 and auto, 114,000K miles. Tried to drive it yesterday. The OD light on the shifter was flashing shortly after starting to drive, and it wouldn't upshift until about 40 mph. A few moments later the xmsn dis-engaged (engine would rev, but no drive from the xmsn) and I had to coast to the side of the road. Rolled to the side of the road. Then it seemed OK and I drove back to the house. It seemed OK for most of the (2 miles?) drive except for a couple of jerks from the drive line.

The xmsn fluid seems to be over filled. Checked while running.

Where do I start to trouble shoot this?
Pull Codes. If you checked it running, at operating temp, on level ground, in park, and it was over the top line on the stick then its over filled and you have to get the excess fluid out.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

I'll have to find a reader I can borrow to pull the codes.

I know I'll have to suction tube the excess fluid, or drop the pan. I'd like to know the codes before spending money on fluid/filter/gasket...

The truck is 170 miles from where I live (at mother in law's house). It is also 20 miles from the nearest place that would have a clue how to work on it. So much fun. At least it's not time critical.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You don't need a reader.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

...and you would like to expand?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Read the sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Read the sticky at the top of the forum.
OK, I'm a doofis. Read through all of that sticky. Now I just need a day of moderate weather over at the trucks location to check for codes. I have a suspicion there will be a lot of them...

At least my mother in law has internet access, so I can get information on-site.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Well I finally got the time to get at the truck... Battery totally dead-too dead to accept a charge. After a 45 mile trip for a new one, installed and any/all codes were gone. The siphon I brought with me was not strong enough to draw out the excess fluid, indicates about two inches over filled when warm and running. I'll be dropping the pan next trip. I got a pan plug kit for when I do that...future drains won't be as messy.

I drove the truck around for about 15 minutes to exercise all the parts and see if I could duplicate the previous issue. Only got up to about 45 mph (in town), and nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Went through the engine off (codes for "Pass"), then engine running checks. Only two codes showed.

411= cannot control RPM during KOER low RPM check
632= overdrive XMSN cancel switch no action during engine running self test

Don't know what that really means...
Still have to address the fluid level.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Finally got to the xmsn last weekend. Dropped the pan and installed a drain plug kit, replaced the filter and refilled to proper level. It was 1 & 1/2 quarts overfilled according to what came out vs the refill. The pan and magnet were pretty clean-the magnet only had some black goop on it, no visible metal at all. Also replaced the air filter, then test drove various speeds in town and on road, up to 60 mph, for about 20 minutes. I didn't notice any transmission issues during the drive, but the check engine light came on three times towards the end of the drive. Xmen fluid level was still good after the drive. Ran out of time for that trip. Still have to change engine oil, plugs-rotor-dist cap, and spark plugs (and check the engine codes). The rear main has a pretty messy leak, but not bad enough to replace it yet.

?! Mother-in-law [now says] this truck had an intermittant miss/"cut-out" since they bought it ten years ago. They took it back to the dealer and several other mechanics who could never duplicate or identify the problem!

Last edited by 60DRB; 09-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

...was there for a short visit. Cranked fine, then drove the truck for about 20 minutes, in traffic and up to 60 mph on the highway nearby. During that drive the transmission did the "disengage/engine revs" thing several times. The transmission would eventually re-engage with a slight jerk, after about 2-5 seconds. Afterwards, I did the code check and got this,

Engine Off;
172= Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control
...maybe from the oil bath it [O2 sensor] gets from the leak?
...and I don't think it's relevent to the shifting issue.

Engine On;
129= No MAP or Mass Air Flow sensor change during "goose" test - MAP MAF
167= No Throttle Position sensor change in "goose" test (must get at least 25% rotation) - TPS
632= E4OD - Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and Goose test

...I'm wondering if I didn't rev the engine high enough for the "goose" test.

In any case, I see nothing in these codes relating to the issue with the transmission disengaging while driving. Any thoughts?

4R70W transmission

Last edited by 60DRB; 11-17-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: '95 xmsn