Topic Sponsor

1989 Ford F150 Manual Transmission, Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1989 Ford F150 Manual Transmission, Transmission Issues

Hello,

New to forum and this is the first post. (and their was much rejoicing, yeah!)

I have done a little bit of research on my truck(engine, transmission) but am wondering if anyone can guide me in a specific direction for 1st and 2nd gear issues/transmission? I can shift into 3, 4, 5 and R but nothing for 1 or 2. Master cylinder has good fluids, and the clutch works for all the other gears. Their is nothing for 1 and 2, no grinding, no engaging, just feels like neutral.

Wondering if it might be a linkage fork broke/pin holding it might have broke???

1989 FORD F150 XLT-5 Speed 4X4

Engine: 5.0 V8

Trans: In door panel (Trans=M Axle=19)
Trans: On Trans (F1TA, GC, C132393)

Just purchased the truck, looking to keep it for awhile but last Wednesday the U-Joint broke. I fixed it Thursday but after I fixed I took the truck for a drive and then I could not shift into 1 and 2 after 100yds. I got it back to my place, did some playing around with it and then it got jammed into lower 2nd gear.(2nd gear but further into 2nd) I got it out now but this is probably where it might have broken a shift linkage/fork??

Wondering if anyone has any insight??? Should I buy a new transmission or could this be something I could rebuild? Also wondering if this transmission will work with this engine, previous owner stated that this was not the original transmission and the 4X4 Hi works but nothing for the Low. Wondering if this also could have caused the U-Joint to break.

Thank you for looking
Turf7
The following users liked this post:
JasonCumbie (08-18-2023)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The 1-2 shift fork is worn.

1989 Ford F150 Manual Transmission, Transmission Issues-forumrunner_20141008_193236.jpg

The good news is you don't have to pull the transmission to fix it. You can pull back the carpet and remove the floor plate to pull the top cover.

1989 Ford F150 Manual Transmission, Transmission Issues-forumrunner_20141008_193410.jpg
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Right on!

This is a huge relief. I do not have a day off till Friday, but when it comes around I will be hard at work. I take it the worn fork is on the right, do you have a reliable source for purchasing this fork?

http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/M5R2-Forks.html

Found this one, not sure if I have the M5R2 transmission to support this fork or if I should try and find something for the F1TA, GC C132393 transmission code I have??

I appreciate your response, this is very helpful.

Another quick question would be, the 4 Low in the transmission does not currently work, is their another suggestion you have to initiate a repair/fix for this? 4 Hi works, thats all I really need but could see this causing potential problems.

Just a couple pics of the U Joint.

Again, thank you Just call me Sean.

Turf 7

The caps on the U-Joint ended up falling out.

They fell out because one of the U-Bolts did not have a nut holding it in place.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
We'd do it

Yes you have the M5R2, yes both forks on the right are worn. I had an extra parts tranny I took the top cover from. The 4low problem is something with the transfer case, not the transmission. If you have the push button 4wd then it could be the solenoid.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Hey Sean,

I ripped apart the shift box, and am ordering the part now. Do you know what this straggler hose is/does it need to be attached to something?

Thanks again Sean,
Turf7

Top view of the transmission.

This is the straggler hose.

It connects to the back part of the transmission
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Oh and I have the manual 4X4 shifter, think that might be just a connection issue?

Turf7
Old 10-10-2014, 05:08 PM
We'd do it

Depends on where the other end is hooked to. Looks like a vent. The manual shifters are know to seize up and/or break.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Took a pause on ordering the new shifter fork, here are my results after inspection:

Crack on middle ring holding the piston

Closest fork broke a piece off on the right

Seal broke on closest piston

Should I order a whole new "Shifter Box," or stick with the new fork, JB weld the middle ring and re-seal the plug on the back?

How do you remove the forks?

Turf7

Last edited by Turf7; 10-10-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Update:

Life caught up with me, got distracted with other projects but finally got the transmission fixed. I ended up going to a transmission repair facility, talked to the owner about the "shifter box" and he mentioned to check the linkages. Upon further investigation, that is what was messed up. Went to a salvage yard the next day, found the same shifter box off of a different transmission, which fit perfect into my transmission and have not had any issues. If anyone is looking at the same problem, I would call up some salvage yards for some parts and do some due diligence.

Thanks again Sean, you helped guide me in the right direction.

Turf7
Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen, excellent information here! I just purchased a 1992 from a kid who told me he broke the clutch. Upon specifically questioning him on HOW it happened, it sounds more like the problem described here.

My question would be with regards to deciphering which version of the 5 speed manual trans is in my truck?

Again, excellent description, great use of good search words, and bonus points for pictures!!

Quick Reply: 1989 Ford F150 Manual Transmission, Transmission Issues