Topic Sponsor

something that may piss of the purist

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Constant Parts Buyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something that may **** of the purist

I have a 1993 XL with the 4.9L and 5 speed transmission, I don't know what kind it is. I really like and want the wide stance from the wheels and tires and Oklahoma has no laws against how far out the wheels stick out. Does anyone know how much lift, if any I'd need to run say.... 20x10's and would that tear up any drivetrain stuff not sure what size tires I'd run but nothing too big. I'd like to avoid chopping the wheel wells to bits so any info would be appreciated. And if you've got a setup like this would you post? Love to see some
Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Oklahoma doesn't need laws to govern vehicle specs. Federal Law does that for Oklahoma. Any Oklahoma Cop can write you a ticket for Unsafe Vehicle Conditions under the CFR. Start there before you say that I can run my Monster Truck down the highway. Every state has Federal Transportation Guidelines. By the way, Oklahoma does have tire regulations. You'll find them in Oklahoma Title 47. It's long and detailed, so as with the CFR, you'll have to do your homework and not believe whomever told you that there are no state laws.

Code of Federal Regulations - Tires can be no wider than 7% or 10mm wider than what is stated on the door jam by the manufacturer per federal motor vehicle safety standards. Some cops don't write "off road equipment" type tickets. Some do. The federal standard adopted my every state that I've researched in 2" past the fenders and must be covered with fender flares. If the vehicle did not come from the factory with fenders, it has to have mudflaps and there are laws governing those too.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/...-571/subpart-B

We can't begin to answer that question without knowing what gearing your running.

Last edited by unit505; 01-11-2015 at 01:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by unit505:
madsky012 (01-11-2015), Snaggletooth (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Constant Parts Buyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit505
Oklahoma doesn't need laws to govern vehicle specs. Federal Law does that for Oklahoma. Any Oklahoma Cop can write you a ticket for Unsafe Vehicle Conditions under the CFR. Start there before you say that I can run my Monster Truck down the highway. Every state has Federal Transportation Guidelines. By the way, Oklahoma does have tire regulations. You'll find them in Oklahoma Title 47. It's long and detailed, so as with the CFR, you'll have to do your homework and not believe whomever told you that there are no state laws.

Code of Federal Regulations - Tires can be no wider than 7% or 10mm wider than what is stated on the door jam by the manufacturer per federal motor vehicle safety standards. Some cops don't write "off road equipment" type tickets. Some do. The federal standard adopted my every state that I've researched in 2" past the fenders and must be covered with fender flares. If the vehicle did not come from the factory with fenders, it has to have mudflaps and there are laws governing those too.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/...-571/subpart-B

We can't begin to answer that question without knowing what gearing your running.
Oh, thanks. I was thinking about how we didn't have any emissions regulations or anything and counted tire specs as emissions... 😳 That was my mistake. I'll check it out!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Good deal. You may not have emissions checks, but you do have federal emissions regulations. Just keep in mind, if you ever cross that county or state line, you may find that one cop that is going to look for the catalytic converter or pull out a tape measure and check the tires. Federal Regs are very strict, but 90% of cops aren't going to check the door jam and figure out what 7% wider than stock is or even know how to measure the cross section. Still good to understand though that the Feds control our highways and depending on the police, can and will write you. I live in Louisiana and we have the highest arrest rate per capita in the entire world, No Joke!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Other than the legal aspect which gives them the right to pull your truck off the road - deemed as unsafe or unfit - you'll probably want to get a few spare sets of bearings ordered in, 'cause you're going to chew them up on a regular basis.
But that's just what it costs to play.

Quick Reply: something that may piss of the purist