Topic Sponsor

2001 no heat or air

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 no heat or air

One hot Tennessee summer I parked at the discount beer and cigarette store when the a/c fan stopped blowing cold air. I replaced the blower resistor and the fan worked but still no cool air. I was told i would have to vacuum the lines as there was too much pressure and the compressor was not working. I decided I didn't need air that bad since fall was right around the corner. Fast forward to winter. The first cold morning I realized I had no heat and that I smelt antifreeze in the cab. I poured liquid aluminum to stop the leak and figured i needed to rip the dash apart to replace the heater core.

So my question is could it be coincidence that both the ac and heat went out or could this be a clue to fixing both. I figured once I am in the dash I could replace whatever I needed to but thought I would ask the experts before taking it apart. I've been told blend door, thermostat or hose leak but I have a feeling it is the heater core and maybe the a/c compressor which i believe is located next to the heater core?

Last edited by Chad Randall Kling; 02-03-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add a sentence
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two things that could cause these three things to happen at once.
#1 an accident or #2 a bullet hole thru the heater... just kidding.
But seriously if you smell celery in the cabin, the heater core is leaking. It leaks into the same place the condensation from the ac drains. So it will burp out onto your driveway.

The connectors to the heater core are on the engine side of the firewall. they are not likely the problem. The entire dash has to be moved to get to the heater core.

The ac might be fixed by adding a couple cans of freon. There is a switch that keeps the pump from switching on when the freon is low.