Topic Sponsor

88 4.9 5 speed 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 4.9 5 speed 4x4

Hi there, I've been having some issues with my idle and startup recently but before I explain the problem I'll give you a little history on the vehicle.

I purchased this truck about 6 months ago and have been working on it for a while trying to get it running right. The previous owner replaced the engine at some point with another used one. Its the 4.9 with a 5 speed tranny. I have replaced with new parts since I purchased it the TPS, the coolant temp sensor, the starter, starter solenoid, battery, and spark plugs. I have swapped out with used parts (The previous owner gave me a bin of extra parts) the IAC, cap and rotor, the power steering pump, and the alternator. I have also cleaned many of the electrical connections with electrical cleaner and I cleaned the air intake temp sensor which was pretty nasty when I pulled it out. I have also checked for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner but I couldn't ever find any although there are some lines that are plugged or caped off.

Ok now to the problem. Whenever I start the truck in the mornings it runs pretty rough for about 10-30 seconds but smooths out and idles like normal. Also after it is warmed up and you come to a stop with it in neutral the idle will surge for about a minute or so and then it corrects itself. The check engine light isn't on nor does it come on when any of these symptoms are present but when I pulled the codes I got (KOEO) 67 29 and 33 (KOER) 33 and 44. Oh and my gas mileage isn't the greatest as I am only getting 10 mpg But I do have a 4" lift and 33's on it which affects mpg.

Do you have any idea what could cause these symptoms and are they related to the codes?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

two things to try:
Get a length of vacuum hose and stick it in your ear. And the other end listen all over the engine for a vacuum sucking sound, even the base of the carb.
Code 67 is ERGV Solenoid. I don't know what that is but the symptoms suggest the carb accessories aren't working properly. Maybe one of those things that pull the throttle open or shut or a wire that heats the automatic choke. I would look for something like that.