Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Tail/brake lights and canbus

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail/brake lights and canbus

New to the site!! Loving what I am seeing!!
Just got my 2015 XLT Sport last week and I know the lighting threads are common but I am just curious on this canbus issue.
My wife got me LED tail/brake lights from XenonDepot for Christmas. Believe these need the canbus with them. Do I have to send the lighting back and get them to send new ones or is this something they can send me?
Never done LED lighting on a vehicle so very new to this.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJMH22
New to the site!! Loving what I am seeing!!
Just got my 2015 XLT Sport last week and I know the lighting threads are common but I am just curious on this canbus issue.
My wife got me LED tail/brake lights from XenonDepot for Christmas. Believe these need the canbus with them. Do I have to send the lighting back and get them to send new ones or is this something they can send me?
Never done LED lighting on a vehicle so very new to this.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!!
No need to send them back, you need resistors to offset the lack of load. F150LEDs.com sends them with their 3157 rear led's and they have an install video that shows how its done. Search it on Amazon and you'll find 'em

Last edited by Slider57; 12-27-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Slider57
No need to send them back, you need resistors to offset the lack of load. F150LEDs.com sends them with their 3157 rear led's and they have an install video that shows how its done. Search it on Amazon and you'll find 'em

Perfect. I will go on Amazon and order the resistors.
Thanks so much for the response!! Your a life saver!!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJMH22
Perfect. I will go on Amazon and order the resistors.
Thanks so much for the response!! Your a life saver!!
When you get a minute, go to www.f150leds.com. Look up the 2015 listing and pull up their rear run/brake/turn bulbs and you'll see the video I'm talking about. I have their system on mine and it helped on the install.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slider57
When you get a minute, go to www.f150leds.com. Look up the 2015 listing and pull up their rear run/brake/turn bulbs and you'll see the video I'm talking about. I have their system on mine and it helped on the install.
Ok will do. I know I have been on their site and I really like their products. My wife ordered me the cargo/brake light combo and its on its way. Should have asked for the tail lights too from their but it was too late. Hahaha...
Old 12-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're only doing the 3rd brake light, you shouldn't need resistors. The resistors are for the turn signals' resistance as seen by the BCM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
If you're only doing the 3rd brake light, you shouldn't need resistors. The resistors are for the turn signals' resistance as seen by the BCM.
Doing the 3rd brake also. The resistors are for the turn signals. Doing all rear lighting on the truck right now and the fronts very soon. Thanks

Quick Reply: Tail/brake lights and canbus