Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

PnP LED headlights in 14', not wanting to blind people

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PnP LED headlights in 14', not wanting to blind people

So I'm getting ready to lift my truck and you all know what that means with people thinking you're high beaming them. Question is, I really want LED headlights. Yes I'm aware of the retrofit set of HID's, but thats not an option for me. I don't "for say" want brighter lights, just more less 5-6k's in color. What would be my best option here? And yes I'm aware some will chime in with "PnP kits are junk" and I'm aware of that opinion of some, but if you want to make a positive contribution to this thread, tell me what you would do and why you would choose that route. Thanks

Oh...truck is 2014 eco 4x4

Last edited by jebsurf; 06-03-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:08 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Title says 2014, description says 2015...which is it?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM

14. My fault. Slip of the finger
Old 06-03-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

I applaud you for being considerate of other drivers. Nothing passes me off more than these Jackwagons that throw pnp **** in their lights and blind oncoming traffic. With that said, I have yet to see led bulbs come anywhere near oem or retrofitted hid headlights. Someone on here is always pushing their bulbs, yet every proper output shot I've seen of led bulbs threw a lot of light in the foreground and not as much distance wise and also lots of glare. Notice I've said proper output shots... pics against a wall from about 25 to 30 feet back, not a pic looking at the front of the vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by eyecandynsx:
jebsurf (06-03-2016), Summers22 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like you have done a fair bit of reading, or atleast enough to see that a lot of these threads become flame wars.

I initially bought a $50 set of PNP leds from Amazon, loved the look and the output seemed brighter. What I came to realize was the output difference was from the change in color temp, whiter seems brighter, and the fact that I had not properly adjusted my headlights. They were splashing more light above the stock halogen cutoff line.

I came across This thread. It really opened my eyes and ultimately pointed me to do my own HID retrofit. Check out page 5 for sure. It shows the difference between halogen and PROPERLY aimed LEDs. Once I saw that it clicked in my head what my LEDs were doing and I sent them back to Amazon.

It's taken me a few months, but my retrofits are done. I have yet to do any long stints of night time driving, but I can tell you this. I am 100% happy and glad I did an HID retrofit. The light cutoff on low is awesome and will not blind oncoming traffic, kick the highs on and you can see for days, not only down the road but the left to right sweep of light is amazing.

You are obviously going to do what you want to do, but I urge you to do your research, be courteous or other drivers on the road and ultimately have fun doing whatever it is you decide.
The following users liked this post:
jebsurf (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

The LED kits on my site are very popular. I know first hand they work great in 15/16 trucks and I know from someone who was AGAINST LED, that they work great in his 2008. So they should work great in your 14 as I sell a lot for all the trucks.

Check out my site and go to the VEHICLE SPECIFIC, pick your year, etc... and you'll see the bulbs. Your 14 uses an H13 which is a high/low combo bulb, saves you some $$.

The bulbs have a beam director built in, which helps with cut-off and you can rotate the bulb if you need to to adjust that.

The kits that eyecandy wrote about you want to avoid. Those cheaper, $50 ebay/amazon kits are great if you want a white light, but they will scatter the light. THOSE cheap kits are what put a bad taste in peoples mouths when it comes to LED lighting. I don't promote or endorse THOSE style kits. The kits on my site are the latest on the market and are, in my opinion from what I've seen/tested, THE BEST right now. No scattering of light, which is what you WANT. You DONT want lights that look nice but scatter light everywhere, that's bad/dangerous. I hate seeing those guys (mainly the RICERS) behind me with their crappy cheap LED kits, thinking they are awesome, but in fact they look foolish. That's why the kits I sell are 3x the price of the amazon kits.

Here are cut-offs from my own truck (a 2015) (the yellowish look is because I have 3000k yellow fog lights on, these bulbs are a 6500k temp, which in the LED world is a PURE white light, in HID 6500k is a different temperature)

Last edited by 230748; 06-03-2016 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jebsurf (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 PM

Thank you all very much for the info so far.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

following

Quick Reply: PnP LED headlights in 14', not wanting to blind people