Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help. Blowing fuses with new TRS Morimoto harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help. Blowing fuses with new TRS Morimoto harness

Hey all,

Long story short, I bought a complete retrofit kit for a 2011 F150 from TRS and wired in the harness. (FX-R 3", 35W Bi, 9008). I am pretty savvy and am positive all connections are sound. Well 99% anyway.

Well, after ripping my lights open and cutting the bowl (kicking myself now for not testing first) I decided to test the fit and connected the projectors.

Got the bulbs in, connected to the ballasts and...nothing. Hmmm. Redid all connections. Nothing. Tried the high beams (hadn't done that before) and got lights. Back to lows, nothing. So I started to think that maybe the truck is ground switched and followed the instructions to switch the wires on the connection to the OEM harness from brown/white/blue to brown/blue/white.

Tried it out and nothing...not even on high. Checked the fuses and the high fuse (15A) was blown. Replaced, tried highs and again it blew. Switched my pins back to brown/white/blue, replaced fuse, tried highs and blew it again.

So I am at a loss and quite honestly peeved because a can't use the vehicle now.

Does anyone have experience with this? Know if the truck is ground switched or not? Know what the pin-out should be? Have some troubleshooting advice?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

F150's are absolutely not ground switched, and you most definitely should have taken a test light to the plug before switching pins around.

Revert the wiring to stock, completely remove any modifications you have made. Replace all burnt out fuses, and without plugging anything into either H13 socket, turn the lights on and use a test light to verify the functionality of the stock wiring.

Most likely, you missed a fuse or ground in the harness and that prevented it from firing at first, then when you switched pins, you fed ground signal back into the hot system, blowing fuses.

Luckily, fuses are in place for that reason, and as long as you didn't see any mysterious blue smoke anywhere, you'll be ok.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. At least now I know it should have worked out of the box because it was hooked up originally with no modifications. All grounds tested to each other and to the battery. The other connections are pretty straight forward. Everything has been put back to original and the fuses still blow so I am pretty sure I have a bad harness. Will be calling TRS in the morning. Ticked because now I have no vehicle.

Stock OEM headlight connector puts out:
purple/brown-black-blue/green
0V-0V-12V - low beam
12V-0V-0V - high beam

black tested satisfactory to ground/high-low both tested and neither is grounded

Even after removing and re-grounding then bench testing, the low beam fuse still blows immediately when the lights are turned on and the high beam blows immediately when the high beams are engaged.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM

I called TRS this morning and they verified that the harness pins where incorrect on the original harness. They are sending me out a new one. Not real happy that it happened in the first place but it is sure nice dealing with knowledgeable people and great customer service.

Quick Reply: Help. Blowing fuses with new TRS Morimoto harness