Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

DIY help and questions on retrofitting MH1 HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY help and questions on retrofitting MH1 HIDs

Hi all, just have a fews questions on retrofitting the MH1s from TRS. I was wondering what the best way to open up the headlights are (heat gun or oven at ### temp for XX min), any minor/major grinding of the housing, how well does the butyl tape work, what have people used to "black out" the side blinker, and if someone has pics of their install it would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

It's been almost a year since I did MH1's in my truck. I baked the lights at 230 oven temp for about 15 minutes, then 5 minute intervals after that. Go slow and plan for 2 - 3 hours to get this done. I used a chisel to help me pry apart the lights and worked great. The edges are chewed up not no cracks or broken latches.

Only grinding I did is for the bulb reflector support which allowed to sink the bowl deeper into the reflector housing. I still had to grind a little off the back hole to get enough threads to work.

I started with plain headlights and painted to match the HD look. I only painted the chromed lamp lining and worked out perfectly. Their butyl tape works awesome and highly recommend.

Here is the thread last year when we had a group buy for the TRS heads:

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/trs-hid...thread-105468/
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for the link

Quick Reply: DIY help and questions on retrofitting MH1 HIDs