Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL HDPP have less Payload than XLT/Lariat HDPP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default XL HDPP have less Payload than XLT/Lariat HDPP?

I was looking at the max payloads for 4x4 3.5L EB SCREW. Looks like the Lariat and the XLT have 230lbs more payload capacity, due to the 18" wheels. I always assumed a basic WT would have more payload due to less upgrades, though according to Ford's charts, it looks like the XL has less payload, due to the 17" wheels.

Source: http://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-spec...150&brand=Ford

On another subject, the 5.0L NA has 30LBS more payload, than a 3.5L EB. Though you loose a lot more towing, due to the loss of the torque from the 3.5L EB.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by solarity
I always assumed a basic WT would have more payload due to less upgrades, though according to Ford's charts, it looks like the XL has less payload, due to the 17" wheels.

Weight capacity of the tires - not the wheels - is probably the limiter. The stock 17" tires on XL trim have less weight capacity than the stock 18" tires with Lariat trim. Check the tire specs on www.tirerack.com
Old 10-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Weight capacity of the tires - not the wheels - is probably the limiter. The stock 17" tires on XL trim have less weight capacity than the stock 18" tires with Lariat trim. Check the tire specs on www.tirerack.com
So by this logic you could buy the XL and a set of stronger tires to increase your payload.

So at the risk of flogging a dead horse what in fact is the limiting factor for payload???
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EventHorizon
So by this logic you could buy the XL and a set of stronger tires to increase your payload.

So at the risk of flogging a dead horse what in fact is the limiting factor for payload???

Re-read what he wrote.........He didn't so payload he said weight
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by EventHorizon
... what in fact is the limiting factor for payload???

Payload = GVWR minus the weight of the truck. So if you restate the question to "what is the limiting factor for GVWR?" the answer is whatever component has the least weight capacity. Frame, springs, shocks, tires, wheels, axles, bearings, braking capacity? Probably only the chassis engineer that determined the GVWR knows for sure.

But it's probably not wheels or tires. For example, the tires on my F-150 4x2 have load index of 110 = 2337 pounds. 2337 x 2 = 4,674 on each axle, but my fGARW is only 3,600 and my rGAWR is only 3,850. So GAWR is a lot less than the tire weight capacity. And my GVWR is 7100, or a lot less than my combined GAWR. So obviously tires are not the limiter on my F-150.

Any truck manufactrurer would have to be pretty stupid to use wheels with less weight capacity than the tires. So I'm confident that neither tires nor wheels are the limiter as to the GVWR on my F-150.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Payload = GVWR minus the weight of the truck. So if you restate the question to "what is the limiting factor for GVWR?" the answer is whatever component has the least weight capacity. Frame, springs, shocks, tires, wheels, axles, bearings, braking capacity? Probably only the chassis engineer that determined the GVWR knows for sure.

But it's probably not wheels or tires. For example, the tires on my F-150 4x2 have load index of 110 = 2337 pounds. 2337 x 2 = 4,674 on each axle, but my fGARW is only 3,600 and my rGAWR is only 3,850. So GAWR is a lot less than the tire weight capacity. And my GVWR is 7100, or a lot less than my combined GAWR. So obviously tires are not the limiter on my F-150.

Any truck manufactrurer would have to be pretty stupid to use wheels with less weight capacity than the tires. So I'm confident that neither tires nor wheels are the limiter as to the GVWR on my F-150.
It would be fascinating to know what the answer is.

Is GVWR a legal limit? I am guessing payload is more of a guideline, so long as you never exceed GVWR?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I did not see on Fords website exactly what is added for the HDPP on an F150. What exactly is the difference to get the higher payload numbers?
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mark waller
I did not see on Fords website exactly what is added for the HDPP on an F150. What exactly is the difference to get the higher payload numbers?
Heavy-Duty Payload Package

Included

The Heavy-Duty Payload Package is available on F-150 XL, XLT, and LARIAT. Increases GVWR to 7600 lbs. on XL and 7850 lbs. on XLT and LARIAT for improved payload and towing.

Includes:
• 3.73 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 9.75" gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel tank
• LT245/70R17E BSW all-terrain tires (A/T) (XL only)
• LT275/65R18C OWL all-terrain tires (A/T) (XLT and LARIAT)
• Upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• XL: 17" Silver Steel Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels
• XLT/LARIAT: 18" Sliver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels

Not available with 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® engine.
Requires Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package.