Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing question

Hey all, newbie here. I have a 2005 F150 FX4 5.4L without the tow haul package. I just recently purchased a Jayco 18 foot camper trailer with a GVWR of 4400 lbs. Am I safe to tow this in overdrive or should I be burning the extra gas and just leave it back in drive??

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

It depends on if the truck is always shifting in and out of od. I tow my boat with overdrive on but it stays in od and doesn't hunt gears. If you're driving through hills or lots of corners I'd leave it off as all the shifting isn't good for the tranny. I use my own judgement.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarbeerfan
Hey all, newbie here. I have a 2005 F150 FX4 5.4L without the tow haul package. I just recently purchased a Jayco 18 foot camper trailer with a GVWR of 4400 lbs. Am I safe to tow this in overdrive or should I be burning the extra gas and just leave it back in drive??

Thanks guys!!
Welcome to the forum.your best not to pull in overdrive you will find if you do try it the trans will be constantly shifting and the converter locking and unlocking and when you compair the cost of a trans. to the cost of any extra fuel used [very minamal if any] then its a no brainer. also you might look into a aux trans cooler and you will definatly need a brake controler for the trailer brakes. Good luck and happy camping
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys!! The trailer come with a brake controller and a fancy weight distribution hitch, tows like a dream. The difference between OD and drive is about 800rpms at around 110km/h. Gas is definitely cheaper then a transmission rebuild.

Quick Reply: Towing question