Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing out tow mirrors for standard

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default changing out tow mirrors for standard

i have the dumbo large tow mirrors and would like to have the smaller ones that are painted on the top to match your truck. My questions are:

for those that tow, are those mirrors adequate?

Is the blind spot mirror large enough.

Do these mirrors extend?

do they come painted or do I have to have that done at a body shop?

I only tow a 14' cargo trailer and a 20' flatbed and have never had to extend the mirrors that came with the max tow package.

If i got a 20'-24' travel trailer would the standard mirrors be ok? I don't tow often and not for long distances.

Where can I get the mirrors and what do you call them? the standard mirrors or what?

thanx
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 25' Lance Travel Trailer. It's width is 96", and without the "dumbo" mirrors, you won't be able to back the trailer up in a straight line.

Without being able to see along the side of the trailer, it will wander.

We see many camping trailers on F-150's and GM trucks with mirror extensions when we are around the camps (those without tow mirrors).

Since our truck is used primarily for camping, I don't mind it. If you pull rarely, the smaller mirrors will work fine, and putting on extensions won't be so bad.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

You will be kicking yourself if you go to the standard mirrors. And you will be purchasing add on mirrors for towing.

Love my dumbos.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely not down size. I wish I had extended mirrows on mine. I had to purchase mirrors that I attached to the car mirrors for when I tow our 25' AS. As mention earlier I need them to see further back on the driver side anf on the passenger side to see the shoulder etc. They are also a great assist in backing up.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I didn't order the max tow pkg because it required 3.73 axle ratio. I prefer much longer legs. So I ordered my F-150 without the max tow pkg, and thus had the small regular outside mirrors. And I had to order the integrated trailer brake controller as a factory option because it does not come with the regular tow pkg that's std on the Lariat.

The small mirrors are not good enough for towing any trailer that's wider and taller than the tailgate. Mainly, you cannot see far enough behind you to see what following traffic is doing.

So from the Accessories catalog, I ordered the manual telescoping power trailer tow mirrors for an XLT. Simple R&R requires about 10 minutes per mirror. The mirrors are plug&play, but the replacement mirrors will have only the functions of the stock mirrors, and those only if you order the mirrors to match the trim of your truck. So my XLT tow mirrors have power, heated, puddle light, and turn signal light built in and they work, but they do not have memory or power fold the way my stock Lariat mirrors had.

Requiring less than a half-hour to R&R both mirrors, I kept my powerfold regular mirrors in case I forsee several months without towing - such as the wintertime. But then I don't really need the power fold and I've never had memory mirrors so I don't miss that part. I like my tow mirrors, so I'll probably just leave the stock mirrors in the barn.

The tow mirrors are available in the Ford Accessories catalog. Here's mine:
http://accessories.ford.com/kit-rear...ror-10319.html

For the regular mirrors, you'll probably have to order from Ford parts catalog. They are available in black, primed or chrome, and in various trim levels from XL plain and simple to fancy Lariat and above trim with power fold and memory.
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...icleid=1447395

I only tow a 14' cargo trailer ... and have never had to extend the mirrors that came with the max tow package.
Maybe if your cargo trailer is 6'x14', you can get by without telescoping the tow mirrors. But with my 7'x14' cargo trailer and my 8'x21' TT, I push the telescope all the way out so I can see behind the trailer. I wouldn't dream of towing either trailer without the telescoping trailer tow mirrors.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

dude its your truck do what makes you happy. but as for me i would keep the big old Dumbo ears! i have no blind spots with them and the stock ones from my 2010 i had tons of blind spots! it wasn't till i towed a 18' enclosed car trailer that when i backed it up the drive i jumped out 30 + times (did it buy my self) to see the fence on my passenger side and still caught the trailer on a post and dented it! the mirrors are kinda hard to get used to but thay will pay for them self in time! but thats just my $0.02 good luck in what ever you chose
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldnt own a truck without towing mirrors regardless of what i do with it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

As an option I have some add in mirrors that work fine with the smaller mirrors. I just got tired of swapping them in and off.

Pm me for a price if you are interested.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the regular mirrors better, and the clip ons are a nice option I have used them in the past and liked them.

I just put the Dumbo ears on yesterday, don't prefer the look but we have a travel trailer, and wanted the bigger mirrors for it.

I was looking for someone to swap with me with no luck, but if you're looking for power, heated, signal integrated mirrors I might know where there are a set available....
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I'll trade you my regular mirrors for your towing mirrors. If you don't like them then you don't like them. I personally like how I have zero blind spots with mine but if you want to trade I'd be willing to consider it. PM if you're interested.

Quick Reply: changing out tow mirrors for standard