Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow question

Tow vehicle: 2013 F150 STX 4x2 5 Liter with 3.31 axle ratio and a 6.6 bed. Obviously has a tow package, but I'm not sure whether it's the "Heavy Duty Tow Package". Having difficulty finding my exact vehicle on any of Ford's provided websites. I purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago and it has the 7100 GVWR package. I had to purchase and install a factory brake controller though.

The vehicle I want to tow is a 34 foot travel trailer and has a weight of 6920 lbs. I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Am I pushing the limits? The GCWR I believe is 13,500 lbs. According to the hitch underneath my truck Max tongue weight (with WDH) is 1,050 lbs. Max tongue trailer weight is 10,500 lbs. The Ford site says max loaded trailer weight is 8100 lbs. This is where I'm getting lost.

If I had the owners manual I wouldn't have to resort to this. Little help here. lol
Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 PM

After actually perusing this site I gained some valuable info.

My payload capacity is 1762 lbs. That's from the yellow sticker on the door. My GVWR is 7100 lbs. I think I'm pushing the limits and capabilities of my truck hauling a 6900 lb trailer (even with a WDH).
Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have a decent dealer that is selling you the trailer they know what you need to pull it. 34 foot is a big rig. Stay safe out there!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM

I already have both. The trailer was given to me by the recent death of a family member. Before I even consider towing it, I thought I'd come here. And the length is concerning.

I keep hearing "check your payload capacity". I'm a 1762. 12% of 6900 is 828 lbs. Leaving 934 lbs for 4 people and cargo. It sounds like I'm within the parameters. What do you guys think?

This is my payload sticker.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

You've got a very healthy payload capacity, so you can probably support the tongue weight of the trailer. However, that's a VERY long trailer!!

Doable, but going to need to be very careful pulling such a long trailer.

My concern is that the trailer weight you listed is probably dry weight of the unloaded trailer. If that's the wet&loaded weight, then you might be okay.

Butt.....if that's the dry weight, the wet&loaded weight of that trailer will easily exceed 8000 lbs!!! And that's where that "max loaded trailer weight 8100 lbs" from the towing guide will come into effect.

You subtracted your tongue weight from the payload capacity to get the remaining weight you can load into the cab and bed - exactly correct way to see if your truck is capable of towing the load.

You are DEFINITELY going to need a WDH!!

However, don't forget the perhaps 100 lbs that your WDH head will weigh.

You can see below that the WDH head will, depending on the WDH you get, easily add 50 to 100 lbs.

So.....a 100 lb WDH will reduce your payload remaining for people and stuff in the cab and bed down to 834 lbs.

And.....if the wet&loaded trailer is actually up towards 8000 lbs, then after the increased tongue weight of such a heavy trailer, payload capacity remaining for people and cargo will go down a lot further.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM

I was hoping you would respond KR. You are correct. I did not add the weight of the hitch.

The hitch weight of the trailer is 687 lbs. Which comes to about 11% of the actual weight of the trailer. And yes, 6920 lbs is the dry weight of the camper. I do not intend to haul with any water in the tanks. I admit I am a little ignorant when it comes to how much personal items I intend to put on the trailer. How much does normal personal items add up to? Food, clothing, a few bikes etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by STXBlues
I was hoping you would respond KR. You are correct. I did not add the weight of the hitch.

The hitch weight of the trailer is 687 lbs. Which comes to about 11% of the actual weight of the trailer. And yes, 6920 lbs is the dry weight of the camper. I do not intend to haul with any water in the tanks. I admit I am a little ignorant when it comes to how much personal items I intend to put on the trailer. How much does normal personal items add up to? Food, clothing, a few bikes etc.
I would say easily for our family 500lbs of gear goes IN the camper.

I personally think the trailer is too large for your truck, however you'll never know without trying it and it also probably depends on your usage. If you're running to the local campground 30min away, you'll probably be fine, but if you're trying to get 2-3+ hours away I'm pretty sure it will be a miserable tow and you won't enjoy it one bit. Good luck either way, and post pictures of the setup!

Quick Reply: Tow question