Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small gas tank

Hi all,

My Dad has a 2012 F150 ecoboost 4x2 with the 26 gallon fuel tank. We have tested his MPG towing my trailer and he gets anywhere from 9.5 to 11MPG which means with only a 26 gallon fuel tank he will be stopping a lot for gas. He has gone to the ford dealers who say the 36 gallon fuel tank will only fit on the 4x4 trucks. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEcoboostF150
Hi all,

My Dad has a 2012 F150 ecoboost 4x2 with the 26 gallon fuel tank. We have tested his MPG towing my trailer and he gets anywhere from 9.5 to 11MPG which means with only a 26 gallon fuel tank he will be stopping a lot for gas. He has gone to the ford dealers who say the 36 gallon fuel tank will only fit on the 4x4 trucks. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks
I'm in the same boat as your father. I looked into making the swap to the 36G tank and it would be around $800.00. I cant see why it matters if it's a 4x4 or 4x2?? He can also buy an auxiliary fuel tank for the bed that looks like a tool box but it would take a big chunk from the trucks payload.. Good luck, Kevin
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I'm in the same boat as your father. I looked into making the swap to the 36G tank and it would be around $800.00. I cant see why it matters if it's a 4x4 or 4x2?? He can also buy an auxiliary fuel tank for the bed that looks like a tool box but it would take a big chunk from the trucks payload.. Good luck, Kevin
Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. Question, what place will swap to the 36G for the $800? A ford dealer or aftermarket place. The problem we are facing is at least the couple ford dealers by us say it can't be done. I also don't understand why there is a difference between the 4x4 and 4x2. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEcoboostF150
Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. Question, what place will swap to the 36G for the $800? A ford dealer or aftermarket place. The problem we are facing is at least the couple ford dealers by us say it can't be done. I also don't understand why there is a difference between the 4x4 and 4x2. Thanks again.
That is a ball park figure for just the parts and doing the swap yourself. Here is an older thread on it with a couple guys that have made the swap. Good luck, Kev

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47008514,d.dmg

Last edited by EcoboostKev; 05-27-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Here was the answer by a Ford tech about fitting a 36-gallon tank from a 2011 into a 2010 that had a smaller tank:

John Mc : As long as you are ordering a tank for your wheelbase then yes everthing will connect. Everything will connect in the same place, all you have are the evap lines, the fuel lines and the tank straps.

The pump might be different, I would have them check that when you order the tank. If the bigger tank calls for a different pump you will need to change it. This is usually due to a height difference in the tank.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my local Ford dealer do this to mine - a 2010 Supercrew 2WD with 145" wheelbase. $1,800 after all was said & done.

Dealer was not able to reprogram the CPU to recognize the larger tank (even spending most of a day on the horn with Ford). Thus the "Miles to E" is never right; I can live with that. When the gauge and computer both agree that I am empty I gas up, and have never been able to do more than 31.5 gallons that way.

Bottom line, I spent a lot if money for another 5 or 6 gallons. Was it worth it? Maybe, especially if you are going deep into the backcountry. Besides, Some people spend more than that on paint or a stereo - at least mine makes it go.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by superdave150
Dealer was not able to reprogram the CPU to recognize the larger tank (even spending most of a day on the horn with Ford).
Here is an April 2012 post in that thread Kev linked to that says the shop can now fix the miles-to-empty number in the F-150 computer. The 2013s weren't available yet, but I'll bet the same procedure will also work on a 2013. See post # 97 on page three in this link:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/26-gal...113471/index3/
Then scroll down to post #97.

Originally Posted by a Ford_Master_Tech
fix for 26 to 36 gallon tank

i am a master ford technition. you can now do the swap and the computer can be programmed for new tank size. just tell them to go to programable parameters and select fuel. you can change to 36 gallon tank now. after done need to self test system. if come up with a p160a code need to go to powertrain, then service functions, then relearn vehicle data. ids must be at version 77a.06 or newer to do this. this can only be done on 2011 and 2012 ecoboost engines. will not work with 3.7, 5.0, or 6.2 engines.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-28-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Might be cheaper to just go with a slip tank or one of those tiddy tanks from hardware stores. Is it still legal to connect slip tanks straight to your fuel tank in the states?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Just got to remember with a a 36 gallon tank it just hurts more when you fill up. lol
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Is it still legal to connect slip tanks straight to your fuel tank in the states?
No, apparently not for gasoline. You can do it with diesel, but not gasoline. Northern Tool makes a diesel kit that will connect an in-bed auxiliary diesel tank to the filler tube for the stock tank, so you can connect an auxiliary fuel tank for a diesel to gravity-feed the stock tank.

But for a gasoline tank, I haven't found anyone that makes the plumbing to connect an auxiliary gas tank to the stock tank. And I haven't found anyone that makes a bigger replacement gasoline tank.

ATF makes auxiliary gas tanks, but not the plumbing required to connect the auxiliary tank to the stock tank.
http://atitank.com/products/auxiliar...uxiliary-tanks

www.transferflow.com is famous for making all sorts of various ways to increase the gallons of diesel you can carry. Bigger replacement stock tanks, in-bed auxiliary tanks, in bed combo toolboxes/diesel tanks, but nothing for gasoline.

So I gave up and decided to have my dealer install the OEM 36-gallon tank from a 4x4. Parts are on order. Looks like about $1,100 out the door - maybe $1,200 including the Governor's share.

Quick Reply: Small gas tank