Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The newb

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The newb

Good afternoon everyone, new to the forum. My family and i in the near future are going to endevour some camping. This of course would be our first camper. My truck is almost paid off so we have decided to stick with it. Im in the military and currently holding a position as the unit safety representative for the squadron im a part of. I say that because, well, i learn about alot of accidents. From pool safety to alcohol, grilling to texting and driving, i read reports of folks getting hurt quite often unfortunately. The job kinda gives you perspective on daily things, so safety was the first thing i thought of when the wife and i tossed the idea of getting a camper. Im kinda worried about my truck and was wondering if you awesome folks here could help me with my math a little. I would like to thank you in advance for your time and patience as im new to all this.

About the truck:
-2008 f150 lariat crew cab
-5.4 triton
-20" wheel package w/ brand new tires
-GVWR. 7,200lbs
-GCWR. 14,500lbs
-max loaded trailer weight. 8,700lbs
-max tongue weight. 1,100lbs
-RGAWR. 3,850lbs
-GVW. 5,481lbs

The trailer we would like:
-GVW. 6,338
-tongue weight. 955

My truck is very well maintained. With the numbers i have, i came up with only being able to tow about 7,333lbs. That doesnt even come close to the average things i read about this truck towing?? I see people towing with my configuration towing from 9,000 to 10,000lbs. Am i doing something wrong?

Again thanks, i just want to make sure i dont put my family, nor your family in harms way while im driving. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. -GROD
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

so i do believe you need to worry about payload which will be printed on your door jamb on the drivers side door but from info givin i think it could be around 1700ish because gvwr 7200 - gvw 5481 = 1719 if thats your payload then i'd like to say your good as youll have aout 700 after hitch weight to hold you/wife/kid/dog/coolers. but 955 does seem like a fair amt of weight..other will chime in soon enough tho! ps. plug your VIN into this

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin=

and give us your axle ratio
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, sorry, forgot the axle 3.73. Not sure what the vin is for but will plug in when i get home, thanks!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI; Axle ratio will just tell those familure with these truck as to whether or not your truck will tow well or stuggle at weight. The 3.73 is a good tow axle, however you have 20s on which means your net ratio drops down to 3.40 or taller. With that said, from your specs above GVWR. 7,200lbs & GVW. 5,481lbs(which I assume you to mean curb or factory wieght) are the most important to start as your payload or the difference between these 2 numbers is the limiting factor, which is 1719lbs for your truck. It is very unlikely that you will exceed any of the others if you remain within your payload. Now from your payload you subtract any addons to the truck, bed liner, cap, brush guard, etc., also include 75lbs for the weight distrubtion hitch assembly. From that number, subtract the weight of all passengers and yourself, plus any additional gear that you will be carring in the truck (kids bikes, firewood, etc.) and this will be the maxium tongue weight you can carry.
Example:
Truck factory = 5481lbs
Bed Liner = 100lbs
Cap = 250lbs
Total truck weight = 5831 lbs
GVWR= 7200lbs
Remaining Payload = 1369 lbs
Family and the dog = 550 lbs
Firewood & kids bikes = 225
Total passenger & gear = 775
Remaining payload or max tongue weight = 594 lbs
Resulting in a max trailer weight or for safety a max GVWR of 4569lbs (this is not the dry weight)
General estimates - Tongue weight of most RVs is 13% of trailer weight (exception Toy haulers). The % can be calculated by dividing the dry tongue weight list on the trailer dy the dry weight.
From your trailer numbers:
955 (tongue)/6338 trailer = 15% - I assume you have a toyhauler, Toyhaulers have greater carring capacities, and the toys (ATV, Bike, etc) go in the rear and will counter balance the front of the trailer. When toys of the proper weight are properly secured the tongue weight percentage will drop back to 13% range.
With most trailers their GVWR is usually 1000 to 1200lbs higher than dry weight (toyhaulers are usually have better than 2000lbs of additional capacity)
Some people will say they are fine basing things off the dry weight as they do not intend to carry much in the trailer. By the time you add food, clothes, towels, the odds and ends need to camp, you will add at least 400 to 500lbs, most likely closer to 1000s in a travel trailer. As an example, I used to own a little 8ft box jayco popup trailer, 1400lbs dry, and with at most 125cuft of storage (about the bed of the pickup truck and about as deep as our beds are for a visual reference) and when we were loaded for the road she would weight in at around 1800 lbs (+/- 50 lbs). Sorry to be such a downer.
PS: remember this one fact EVERY POUND IN THE TRUCK SUBTRACTS FROM YOUR PAYLOAD, however, ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE WEIGHT, ABOUT 13% OF EVERY POUND PLACED IN THE TRAILER ADD TO THE TOUNGE WEIGHT, i.e. 200lbs of weight in the truck = 200lbs less payload, 200lbs in the trailer only subtracts 26lbs from the payload,
So put the kids bikes in the trailer (estimate 100lbs) would give you 694 remaining for payload, which would allow you to go to 5338lbs GVWR trailer (the bikes would be part of the trailer weight. Take the spare out from under the truck and put it in the trailer for the trip, it weights at least 60lbs (the rubber alone weights 45lbs without the rim). That would push your available up to 750, and allow for another 400lbs fo trailer or a GVWR of 5769.

Quick Reply: The newb