Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight would you haul?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How much weight would you haul?

I have a 2007, short bed, reg cab, 4.2l, 5 speed. I have to get 1 ton of river rocks for my uncle I was thinking I would do two trips of 1000lbs. I have no Idea why I'm second-guessing my self, but it never hurts to ask. I have done a lot of hauling with chevy trucks and have only hauled a few things with ford trucks. This is also my first truck that is not older then me so I'm a little worried about the toughness. Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

With the info you posted, Yes. It's only 1000 lbs and as long as your not traveling at high rate of speed or pulling steep grades, Just go slow and steady and drive with your head.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a F-150. But I had a 1999 Ranger with the 4.0. Bought paving bricks and asked for the weight before it was loaded up in case I needed to make multiple trips. He said 1500 lbs, which was double the payload so I said go ahead and do it all and I'll take it easy.
Went outside to see it squatting on the bump stops pretty good so went back in to ask him to double check. He messed up, ended up being 6000 lbs..... Drove it the 20 miles home.
Engine pulled it just fine. Took a bit longer to stop though. I drove it another 30k miles after with no issues....

I have 2011 F-150 now and need to routinely haul a full ton. No issues....
Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft1981SnS
I have a 2007, short bed, reg cab, 4.2l, 5 speed. I have to get 1 ton of river rocks for my uncle I was thinking I would do two trips of 1000lbs.

Depends on how **** you are about being overloaded. Your available payload capacity is probably closer to 1000 pounds than 2000 pounds, with nothing in the truck but a skinny driver and a full tank of gas.

There should be a payload sticker on the doorframe, below the sticker that has GVWR, GAWR, tire size and PSI, paint codes, etc. Subtract the weight of you and anything else that will be in the truck when hauling from your payload capacity and that's the max weight I would want to haul.

My 2012 F-150 has payload capacity of 1,566 with nothing in the truck but a full tank of gas. So I cannot haul a ton of anything without being overloaded. I'll bet you can't either.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-05-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Depends on how **** you are about being overloaded. Your available payload capacity is probably closer to 1000 pounds with nothing in the truck but a skinny driver and a full tank of gas.

There should be a payload sticker on the doorframe, below the sticker that has GVWR, GAWR, tire size and PSI, paint codes, etc. Subtract the weight of you and anything else that will be in the truck when hauling from your payload capacity and that's the max weight I would want to haul.

My 2012 F-150 has payload capacity of 1,566 with nothing in the truck but a full tank of gas. So I cannot haul a ton of anything without being overloaded. I'll bet you can't either.
Kind of why I asked the question. I was in disbelief of how low my pay load was. I have overloaded my trucks before, but the payload was not as low as this one.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:56 PM

Its times like this when I think I should have just got a long bed f250 reg cab instead. I love my truck, but its like I have half a truck. I just dont like the Idea of overloading my truck every time I haul something.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

My '16 F150 SCab payload is 2100#...it's all about options. I can haul fatter people than most SCrews. Just not comfortably.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I've been cutting firewood and hauling it since the early 1970's. I've always used 1/2 ton trucks and have probably been overloaded quite a few times.

Nine years ago I bought a Tacoma with the 5' bed and next to nothing cargo capacity. But it does have a 6500 lb towing capacity so I bought a 10' utility trailer for those times when I needed to haul big or heavy stuff that won't fit in the bed.

Best decision I ever made and wish I had done it years ago. I'm driving an F-150 now and would MUCH rather haul stuff like that in the trailer even though the cargo capacity is much greater in the Ford.

It is so much easier to roll heavy logs up the trailer ramp than lift them nearly 4' off the ground to get them in the trucks bed. I'll overload the trailer with double the weight I could put in the bed before getting close to being over the towing limit with either the Toyota or Ford. Plus I don't damage the bed with rocks or logs.

A ton of rocks in a trailer will be easy and only take one trip.

Quick Reply: How much weight would you haul?