Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Assist sticker width?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Backup Assist sticker width?

Can the width of the Backup Assist sticker be cut down? We have a Rockwood tent trailer, and the only flat horizontal location I can find is partially blocked by the base of the levelling jack.

If I take about 3/16" off both sides will it still work??
Old 07-10-2016, 12:52 PM

I guess I should mention that I'm not dependant on the backup assist. Although I have minimal experience backing the trailer with the F150, I've backed it in with our traded in Escape many many time. As the truck came with the system, I figured I'd at least set it up.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Scudzo;4830462]
The following is from the Airstream Forums - Unofficial PP Users Guide, post #1342:
I have a 2016 f150 with the pro trailer back up assist. Before I bought my propride I emailed Sean who confirmed that one of is customer was using this feature whitout problem. I had Can Am Rv do the installation of the hitch on my new Airstream and they also installed the sticker that is used in conjonction with the pro trailer back up assist so I do not know exactly what distance they entered. It is a tight fit on my 27fb international , in fact a part of the sticker is under the propane cover but it works great.

So I think you should be able to trim the sticker. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM

I'm just worried that if the narrow sticker doesn't work, I'll have to paint over it and start from scratch.

I read about using a magnetically held plate with the sticker on it, so I'm going to try that. $2 for a couple of heavy duty magnets on my way home today. I'll drop by the weld shop at work tomorrow and see what scrap I can find. A couple of coats of black tremclad, and it should be good to go!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Citygirls

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Everyone,

We're new to trailering and to backing up as well and recently bought the F150 with the trailer backup assist. We reached out to Ford as we were having issues as to where we could place our sticker on the trailer as we didn't have enough space.

They confirmed to me that it can be placed either horizontally or vertically as long as it is within their "green zone" of 7" to 22".

As we haven't picked up our new trailer yet, we're hoping our plastic propane tank cover is within the 22" range.

We did try this feature out on our older trailer and it worked well ONLY if you weren't trying to make a sharp turns. The moment the camera loses sight of the sticker, it sets off a warning and bells chime in the truck to take the wheel. It does take a second or two for the camera to find the sticker again and you can continue.

It becomes a bit of a pain especially if you haven't finished your sharp turn, but I'm hoping that if we can put it somewhere the camera doesn't lose sight of easily, that should alleviate the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Mach5 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by citygirls
They confirmed to me that it can be placed either horizontally or vertically as long as it is within their "green zone" of 7" to 22".
HMMM, I hadn't considered mounting it vertically. I'll bet you could add a vertical piece of metal in front of either the battery or propane tanks (which ever is in front) to hold the sticker.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Citygirls

Originally Posted by SailorSam20500
HMMM, I hadn't considered mounting it vertically. I'll bet you could add a vertical piece of metal in front of either the battery or propane tanks (which ever is in front) to hold the sticker.
...We were just going to apply the sticker onto the hard shell case. We are picking up our new trailer today and will likely set it up before we hit the road for the week so I'll let you know.
SailorSam20500 (08-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Citygirls

Default Well, that didn't work...

Originally Posted by citygirls
...We were just going to apply the sticker onto the hard shell case. We are picking up our new trailer today and will likely set it up before we hit the road for the week so I'll let you know.
Sorry for the delay in responding, although it was a good idea, mounting the trailer assist sticker on the hard propane cover doesn't work - the backup camera is only focused downwards and can't be re-focused or moved to focus on anything than what is in the zone....in any event, once I pulled the sticker off (and it wasn't easy) I used Goo gone and it removed the stickiness...

The original sticker we placed on the trailer tongue remains there but the camera won't focus on it. I might try and use a flashlight to help pick up the reflective parts of the sticker when I'm asking the camera to search for it...having said that, we're off for our last trip of the season. If we have time, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:37 PM
rnp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone measure the size of the stickers

I can not get the stickers here. and Can make something. I need the size of the stickers and the size of the black squares.? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:16 PM

Hope this helps.

rnp (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Backup Assist sticker width?