Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24' car hauler users come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Prius Eater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24' car hauler users come in

just wondering how many of your guys pull a 24' loaded enclosed car hauler with your 5.4 triton. thinking about getting one for my cobra and not quite ready financially to move on to a diesel. any experiences would be great. I have an 04 fx4 with the towing package, 3.73 gears and no mods at all performance wise except for towing mirrors lol. I live in a very mountainous area with a 5 mile steep grade leading out of the area in both directions. I have pulled the cobra on an open uhaul trailer many times with no trouble but this'll be a whole new ball game. what should I add? should I even mess with it until I get a diesel?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've pulled similar weight so I'll chime in.

Have your truck up to service including plugs, fluids, tires, filters etc.

If your trailer weights over 5000lbs and 500lbs tongue weight you'll need a weight distribution hitch preferably with sway control ($500). Also an appropriate hitch ball.

If you want to run more tongue weight then 1000lbs on your class 5 hitch you will need to upgrade the hitch.

You'll obviously need trailer insurance (about $120 a year here).

Consider upgrading your tires to light truck tires if they are not already.

Consider getting airbags or at least helper springs to have appropriate sag.

Consider getting a full replacement bumper deer bar if you will be driving on country roads (it will pay for itself with one collision).

Consider getting a video recorder in case of a not-at-fault crash. ($120)

When looking at a trailer decide if you want steel or aluminum. Are you going to keep it long? Do you care about empty weight?

I'd say in your configuration the real limit is about 13-14k pounds. Considering its rated for about 9000lbs from ford you have some room. So I say you will be reving it up hill a bit but you will be fine.

Also you will need to do fluid changes more often, read up on the truck manual.

In addition if your truck is full of people and supplies you may exceed its payload capacity depending on its configuration.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an 05 that was my dads, we have once pulled upwards of 8500-9000 lbs. The truck is rated for 9200 or 9600lbs (05 FX4 on 18in rims). It is not something that I would recommend doing very often as it really pushes the trucks limits. If you car and trailer together push over 7500 lbs I think you are going to find that you have problems showing up very fast.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Prius Eater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the words guys- I think it would be wise for me to wait until I move on to a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tow loaded 24 and 26 foot trailers every week from Ga to Ia (over the mountain) with no problems I installed air bags on the rear to help with weight use the trailer brakes and downshift going down the mountain the 5.4 haas plenty of power

Quick Reply: 24' car hauler users come in