Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Yep, another 3.7 v6 MPG thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Yep, another 3.7 v6 MPG thread.

Hi All,

Let me just preempt any trolls here. I've read as many threads as possible on 3.7 MPG and haven't got all the info I wanted so if you're just going to post miserable responses, don't bother.

A secondary preempt - I bought the a truck because i wanted the flexibility a truck offers. With that said, i chose the 3.7 v6 because i was hoping to get a somewhat reasonable MPG. At least bottom end of the sticker. I don't feel i'm getting this and feel that i may as well have bought something with a bit more beef if i'm not going to reap the benefits of a less powerful engine. Now, I like the truck, i've had it a year and its generally been a pleasure to drive in. But, I'm disappointed with the MPG I'm getting.

Ok - So I have a 2013 XLT SCREW with the 3.7 v6 (rwd) engine, short bed. It has 10,000 miles on it.

I drive a mixture of highway and city in the DFW area (approx 50/50). I drove for the first 5000 miles or so with a pathetically light foot, to the point my wife complained. Average was around 16.8. The second 5k i drove normally. Lifetime MPG is 16.4 and i've never seen an increase in MPG after any period (break in). Infact the best MPG i ever got was on the way home from the dealership which was around 21 over a 50 mile highway drive. Since then i've never even got close.

I regularly drive between DFW and Eastland which has plenty of flat road but also some hills. Its 240 miles round trip and i've never got more than 17.5. I've tried anything from 60mph to 80mph and see minimal difference in MPG.

I watch my realtime MPG bar continuously and have to say aside from the day i drove it home, the only time i could even get it over 20MPG in realtime is if was driving down hill and not touching the gas pedal.

Now, If i had read all these threads and found that people with the same engine were getting similar numbers i would probably have just accepted it as is. But, i'm seeing people quoting city numbers better than my highway. I'm seeing 4x4 owners with similar or better numbers and its a little hard to digest. 20mpg is something i can only dream of.

I've had 2 oil changes/ light services during that 10k and all is apparently well.

So - Firstly, anyone with a similar config, please post some numbers for me. I'd like to see whats the norm. It appears i'm on the low side.

Secondly - Any thoughts on what it could be ? Anything i can do to try and improve it. If I drive any slower i'll get pulled over.

Thanks for reading such a long post.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

I know that the spark plug gaps on the EB, for instance, have been found to be all over the place from the factory. Have you checked the gaps on yours? I would start there, then also check tire pressure and wheel alignment, trans and rear end fluid.
Your lifetime mpg does sound like it is on the low side for the engine you have....especially in nice warm temps like yours.
Does anyone in your area sell ethanol free gas? You might give that a try as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

3.7 in a SCREW is a lot more weight to move from zero than an extra cab or std cab. The lack of low rpm torque with a 5600lb truck is just going to require more gas. As other poster noted, check what is checkable and see if it helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go ahead and check what I can.

Kenferg1 - Weight is noted. Seems like the sticker claims should be adjusted per vehicle config, not per engine.

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

These Screws are heavy pigs. If you baby it too much, you'll probably lower your mileage. That engine is working while getting you up to speed. There is a sweet spot that will be more efficient if you accelerate at a moderate to higher rate, getting you up to the higher efficient gears quicker. Get up to speed faster, and then back off. Watch ahead a little more for slowdowns or stops, and let that heavy truck work for you, letting off on the gas and coast up to the stop using much less brake. I'm not talking about drastic changes, but pay attention and drive a little more like this and your MPGs will climb.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I've driven the 3.7 in all 3 cab configurations and I'll be the first on to say that the engine works harder moving the Screw as opposed to the rcab / scab. Not a lot harder but I found it noticeable. Play around with different driving styles and see if you can find a "sweet spot". babying these trucks right off the line won't always net you the best mpg I've found.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 SCREW with the 3.7 V6 and 5000 miles on the odometer. I am averaging 18 city and 21 hwy. I love the truck and the V6. Just my opinion, but if I were you I would find perfect gas mileage conditions... no wind, flat hwy, cool weather, etc then turn the AC off and run some miles at 55mph. If you are not getting better than 21mpg then maybe something is wrong. Have you taken it back to the dealer with the gas mileage complaint? Maybe they can help. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Ford at heart

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey post up what config you have..gears..tire size cab confiq..etc..

I can tell you this I come from a diesel background and coast 50mpg out of my jettas and 20+ out of a 7.3 and 6L..

I have a eco and its the same as the 3.7..because to get the max fuel economy, you have to stay out of the turbos..so a v6 here as well..I get 23-24mpg and I know I can get 30 on the highway..I have some mods and can tell you what I have done to optimize my screw for top FE..I hav gotten 30mpg on several 60 mile trips..

I get dinged on my FE because I live in the hill country..driving the hills for FE is very testing...
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default here your pain

2011 xlt 2wd 3.7l 373 rear end, 2756518 highway tires and ford said they rest the computer for tire size but im not sure it may still be off 5%
how bout this
what do we all get at the end of each tank. so what does it say the avg is when you fill the tank. not when you drive 40 in 6th gear for ten miles and get 58 mpg
but what is the avg
cause you guys are all full of crap
I get 16 to 17.5 and that's it and it only gets worse
and people made fun of kia and Hyundai for there mileage claims
ford #s are crap and all the guys talking mid 20s with v8s same deal
my truck will read 28-29 also when driving down the road but that's far from an avg
maybe the blue fame has more drag then all the other colors
oh ya this is a very positive post, don't take it personal. im really pissed at ford
Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry was supposed to have pics and that didn't work

Last edited by rb250; 09-25-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Yep, another 3.7 v6 MPG thread.