Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Oil Coming out of turbo, compressor, drivers side.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Coming out of turbo, compressor, drivers side.

I am about to take my truck in for the 4th time to adress the continual no start issue, but while i was under the hood i noticed there is excessive oil around the turbo, it has soaked through the boot and is leaking around the charge pipes. I am not sure if its caused from the PCV system or a bad turbo. i cant see the rubber boot lasting much longer either being this oil soaked. I don't know if it has any oil consumption as its dealer maintained and i never have even pulled the dip stick on this truck.
should also say the right side turbo is completely dry.

Any thoughts? anyone experience this on their ecoboost?

heres a pic of the area i am talking about
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

i've had farts wetter than that. but, better safe than sorry, get`r looked at!

Last edited by jcain; 07-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
if had farts wetter than that. but, better safe than sorry, get`r looked at!
too much info

Looks normal to me, my old car looked like that.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious to know what brand of Turbo's they putting on the EB's. For the most over the many years working on turbocharged engines the turbos hold up quite well. Could be a turbo that was built early Monday or end of the day on Friday. At any rate I would really squawk at your dealer. If those seals let go your engine is toast. I am sure this engine is like other turbocharged engines in that they get their oil supply off the engines main bearings first and any significant drop in oil pressure and the engine is gone. Wishing you good luck in getting it taken care of! Hope you have a good dealer standing tall for you! Dealer makes all the difference in situations like this.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

borg warner turbos
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM

the picture doesn't help much, but i forgot to mention there must of been at least half an ounce of oil sitting in the boot when i took it off, and quite a bit of oil coating the surrounding area.

If its coming from the PCV i dont really care, i just dont want it coming from the turbo. my diesel had turbo issues with oil blowing past the seals and i never saw oil on the out side of the boots like that, so it's a bit concerning to me.

I am looking at trading it in on for a 6.2 anyways but still want to get this adressed.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If the turbo seals were shot then you'd be blowing smoke. Looks like someone might have spilled a bit of oil when your oil change was done. As you can see its very close to where you feed the oil.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ninjatalon
If the turbo seals were shot then you'd be blowing smoke. Looks like someone might have spilled a bit of oil when your oil change was done. As you can see its very close to where you feed the oil.
That may explain the surrounding oil, but not the oil within the charge pipe nor the oil soaked boot. It is blowing a bit of smoke, past the cold start smoke, after a week or so my white bumper is black and the tail gate collects soot. If its just leaking on the compressor side, and going through the engine and cats the smoke wouldn't even be that evident, it would for sure if it was leaking on the exhaust turbine though.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a leaking turbo to me! Yes, any significant amount of oil leaking by quite often ends up of the at the tail pipe as soot as you mentioned you have seen. I have seen turbos that weep a bit, but yours sounds more than a weep! Take it to the dealer service department and or better yet trade it for the 6.2 and you won't sorry. That EB V6 is quite the engine, but I just don't think Ford has got it right yet! I have the 6.2 and love it!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you remove your LICP or the intercooler to see if it is filmed with oil? Shouldn't be very difficult to check.

Quick Reply: Oil Coming out of turbo, compressor, drivers side.