Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost stumble, dealership says can't duplicate

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ecoboost stumble, dealership says can't duplicate

Kind of a rant more than anything I guess.

Had the problem last weekend. Almost got rearended because of it. Pulled out into the road on a blind corner and had to hit it to avoid the car I couldn't see coming and it just fell flat on its face. Fortunately I could pull over to the shoulder and get out of the road. The engine light came on and it took a good 10-20 seconds to recover.

Bring it to the dealer this morning and now they tell me there is no code and they can't duplicate the problem. Jeez.

there is nothing to say it was or wasn't that particular problem. I'm no expert but it certainly matches the descriptions I've seen. Is there something else that could cause it? And is there not a code stored in the computer when the light comes on?

I have a mind to just fix it myself instead of messing with the dolts at the dealership. I already did that with the door panels.

This is a 2014 SC with EB
Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Also look here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/hesita...oboost-318794/
Old 11-03-2015, 04:19 PM

I saw that one. I've read a few good threads.

I found out there is a TSB for the 13-14s, and yet I get "sorry we can't duplicate the problem". That's the same BS I got 20 years ago from numerous Pontiac dealerships and it's the reason I never bought another new GM car.

I'm hopping mad right now. I hope I can stay calm enough when I pick it up that I don't launch myself over his desk.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Just take it easy, it is very very hard to replicate. I know its frustrating I had the issue. Just drill a hole and replace plugs yourself and be done with it, its not worth the hassle
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (11-10-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Just take it easy, it is very very hard to replicate. I know its frustrating I had the issue. Just drill a hole and replace plugs yourself and be done with it, its not worth the hassle
This.

Dont get too worked up. Ive been to the dealership twice for a front end growling noise that every time I get there, it stops. Pisses me off but what do you do.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Called the dealership this morning and got the same story again. They say they can't do anything without a code. It just happened a week and a half ago and they say there is no code stored. The light very clearly came on so there should be a code. I dunno. The only thing he could tell me was I should try to make it happen again and then come in right away so they can check it.

I went through this very same crap with Pontiac 18 years ago and it's the reason I never bought another new GM car. My wife's Dodge may have been a rolling piece of crap but the one time we had it in under warranty they fixed every single issue without a peep.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 845 Likes on 495 Posts

Another thing to do if it happens on a day/time the dealership is closed is to head straight to an auto parts store and borrow their code reader get the code then right it down, then when you go into the dealer at least they'll have an idea.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

You have a plug misfire issue. Is it because of the bad plug or because you swallowed a slug of water? Both are common problems that are tough to replicate. When my plug wires went bad, the dealer came back and said they couldn't replicate the problem. I told them to go back out and put some tracks on the pavement. They called me later in the day to say that they now had the problem and were fixing it free of charge. Point is, they were driving the truck like corporate told them to. I had to order them to get on it to recreate the problem.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Fix it yourself then. Drill the intercooler weep hole, install new plugs and gap them to .030
Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Fix it yourself then. Drill the intercooler weep hole, install new plugs and gap them to .030
At the very least, replace the plugs and gap to .025-.030. I've had the plugs miss as early as 20,000 miles. Also, be careful not to over torque as 133 in/lbs or 11 ft/lbs is just barely snug.
And shame on the dealer for not at least doing a mode 6 read of plug misfires.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost stumble, dealership says can't duplicate